Bus & tram tickets and timetables - August/September 2018

Guest busdriver1
Yeah, but I understand the lack of passengers in the evening would probably make it unviable.

Good to see somebody understanding.

Where will the 52 finish at, and whereabouts in Crookes will they turn them around?

Very sad news about 61 and 62 is going to make many a commute more miserable and time consuming.

Particularly on the way back from town, if your bus is delayed getting to Hillsborough then you've well and truly stuffed it.

Suppose it must be part of the plan to get off public transport and into private vehicles.

Where they always used to turn round for decades. Crookes terminus (Heavygate Avenue)

I heard that the agreement to be able to use weekly passes on both Stagecoach and First (52 and 120) is stopping too? Friend saw a poster somewhere but I can't see anything or on internet....

Duckegg

I heard that the agreement to be able to use weekly passes on both Stagecoach and First (52 and 120) is stopping too? Friend saw a poster somewhere but I can't see anything or on internet....

Duckegg

Yes I saw that poster too. It said that the Citywide stuff could still be used on both but I think it said that the Megarider tickets would no longer be valid on a rival service's buses due to some kind of agreement they had expiring. Not sure when that comes into effect though.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

Yes I saw that poster too. It said that the Citywide stuff could still be used on both but I think it said that the MegaTravel passes would no longer be valid on a rival service's buses due to some kind of agreement they had expiring. Not sure when that comes into effect though.

For quite a few years First and Stagecoach had been accepting each others Sheffield bus only adult weekly tickets on route 120 and route 52/52a as a hangover from the old Optio trial which predated the bus partnership and Citybus/Citywide tickets. This arrangement is now unnecessary and impractical and possibly only just on the right side of competition law.

Therefore from the September timetable change First week tickets will only be valid on First buses and Stagecoach Megarider tickets will only be valid on Stagecoach buses, in line with every other route in Sheffield.

Citybus tickets are valid on all buses in Sheffield regardless of operator whilst Citywide also includes tram travel. They can be purchased from bus drivers, tram conductors and the self service machines in the bus stations and are issued onto smart cards. Day tickets are also sold via the Stagecoach and First m-ticketing apps. More information http://www.sytravelmaster.com

---------- Post added 16-08-2018 at 23:16 ----------

Where they always used to turn round for decades. Crookes terminus (Heavygate Avenue)

And should benefit greatly not having to make the maneuvers in and out of Hillsborough Interchange and getting caught up in traffic congestion in Hillsborough. Back to the traditional 52 terminus at Crookes/Walkley!

I imagine the 52a every 12 minutes along with the 31/31a should be more than enough to cope with the passenger numbers travelling up and down the hill between Hillsborough-Walkley/Crookes.

Edited by Andy C

The 31/31A and ,relatively new 31B which doesn't run up to South Rd, is diabolical. It's supposed to run every 30 mins from Hillsborough but is regularly late as the timescales for negotiating Hillsborough traffic to and from Loxley is unrealistic. Sometimes when they are running very late the either come through as not in service or detour to avoid coming through Hillsborough to make up time. We're told plenty of alternative busses and trams pass above and below the 31 route but these involve a lengthy walk for many of us living in the middle

Thank you for the information Andy. The changes to 88 are disgraceful and will affect my disabled mum and lots of others living on Shiregreen who shop at Morrisons as it's now going to stop a busy junction away. Tried to get clarification from Travel South Yorkshire on Twitter with no satisfactory answer. I was told by Stagecoach on Twiter that it is 'a short walk' and 'a 5 minute walk' which is of little comfort to the elderly, disabled and those with young children. Got told by an 88 driver that it's because the 75 won't be using Hartley Brook Road yet Stagecoach denied all knowledge when I asked and Travel South Yorkshire haven't seen fit to mention it either.

I'm with you this is a terrible change. Can't get to Aldi either. Long way to walk with a load of shopping. Why cut out 2 popular supermarkets?

Also, I don't get the one way thing, if you catch the bus at Hartley Brook or High Greave and get off at Ecclesfield, how do you get back home if the bus goes along Green Lane & back to Town on the old route? A round trip to town and back to get home?

The only place we can easily get to from Shiregreen is Town. Everywhere else is 2 buses. Meadowhall is 5 minutes away, 2 buses. Chapeltown is 5 minutes away, 2 buses. Hillsborough a bit further away but 2 buses again.. It's ridiculous!

There should be a new direct route from Chapeltown to Meadowhall via Shiregreen.

A reminder all that the new timetables start tomorrow, Sunday 2nd September. They are available to download from http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges.

For those travelling by tram from the Halfway or Herdings Park direction don't forget rail replacement works are still taking place, buses are running connecting with trams at Gleadless Townend - see http://www.supertram.com for details.

Also kids are back at school on Monday so traffic is likely to return to normal levels after the summer holidays.

If you have kids going to school by bus, train or tram, you may want to check out the weekly or 28 day child passes. The most flexible option is the 'Getabout' or 'Getabout+' which offers unlimited travel on all operators buses in South Yorkshire and Supertram, the plus version also includes trains. Details at http://www.sytravelmaster.com. They can be bought from bus drivers, tram conductors or the self service machines at Interchanges. If only one operator is required, slightly cheaper options just for First or Stagecoach are also available, they can be bought on board, online or via their app. See http://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire or http://www.stagecoachbus.com accordingly. Remember if aged 11+ a concessionary pass is required to get the discounted(child) price.

Edited by Andy C

Hya Andy. Do you know if the 41 Dyke vale Rd service is still running via Eastern Avenue. If not what will be replacing it.?

Edited by REUBEN 123
punctuations

My daughter will be travelling on the X17 from Heeley to Stonegravels, Chesterfield 3 days a week. She is a student but I have seen that the Student ticket is only valid as far as the Norton roundabout. Does anyone know how to get a student ticket that covers the entire journey please? Thanks