Do shotguns have to be loud?

It is possible for shotguns to be silenced, Baikal do a barrel length silencer on some of their shotguns.

I think the problem may be in the owner justifying to the police why they want a silenced shotgun. The police may allow it for a farmer shooting vermin but maybe not for trap shooting.

My old .410 fold up wasnt much louder than an air rifle with its full length silencer, nowadays though you can get all the sizes up to and including 12 bore guns moderated.

I don't think there are any regulations regarding moderated shotguns in the UK.

Give me a post code and I will try and find out if it's clay shooting or just bird scaring. My bet as it's every evening and weekends it's bird scaring.

Angel1.

It’s in S35.

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 20:02 ----------

It can't be grouse shooting as the Glorious 12th was yesterday .

I've been hearing them all day too but it's not bothering me, it's no worse than hearing neighbours workmen, hedge cutting and grass cutting. Don't forget there's worse to come the week before and the week after 5th of November and they are a lot louder and nearer to houses, the dogs hear them and get frightened, they don't seem to be upset about this shooting.

Then there's the continuous loud bangs on New Years Eve . . .enjoy, we could be dead and we wouldn't hear it then.

It’s far far worse than hedge and grass cutting, it’s so close and so loud it’s like repeated fireworks. Our dog is absolutely petrified and a number of friends have said the same about their dogs and even some children. It went on for 5 hours today, that is completely unacceptable!

I despise fireworks for any occasion, they are completely unnecessary and a waste of money. I can understand people wanting pretty fireworks but why does it now seem to be about how loud they bang rather than what they look like!

It’s in S35.

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 20:02 ----------

It’s far far worse than hedge and grass cutting, it’s so close and so loud it’s like repeated fireworks. Our dog is absolutely petrified and a number of friends have said the same about their dogs and even some children. It went on for 5 hours today, that is completely unacceptable!

I despise fireworks for any occasion, they are completely unnecessary and a waste of money. I can understand people wanting pretty fireworks but why does it now seem to be about how loud they bang rather than what they look like!

Been a keen clay shooter for over 50 years (now a retired shootist and gunless) I know of several local clubs, most who shoot on a Sunday morning and perhaps once a week during the summer months. 5 hours on a Monday, I will ask around as I have no knowledge of a GC who does this.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

Been a keen clay shooter for over 50 years (now a retired shootist and gunless) I know of several local clubs, most who shoot on a Sunday morning and perhaps once a week during the summer months. 5 hours on a Monday, I will ask around as I have no knowledge of a GC who does this.

Angel1.

A few people have said they suspect it's pigeon scaring at Onesacre. It's so difficult to accurately gauge where a noise is coming from but it was definitely within the valley.

Sound can travel surprisingly far in a valley, but if it's being used after dusk it could be seen as anti-social, especially as the pigeons will have gone to roost by then anyway and there's nothing left to scare!

A few people have said they suspect it's pigeon scaring at Onesacre. It's so difficult to accurately gauge where a noise is coming from but it was definitely within the valley.

To me it sounded in the Wharncliffe woods.

My old .410 fold up wasnt much louder than an air rifle with its full length silencer, nowadays though you can get all the sizes up to and including 12 bore guns moderated.

I don't think there are any regulations regarding moderated shotguns in the UK.

I'm sure its class 1 firearm licence for moderated guns mickey.Its not that difficult to moderate a single barrel shotgun but 410's are not too bad but a waste of time on a 12 bore.

I'm sure its class 1 firearm licence for moderated guns mickey.Its not that difficult to moderate a single barrel shotgun but 410's are not too bad but a waste of time on a 12 bore.

You need a separate slot adding to your FAC for any section 1 firearm moderators but not for shotgun moderators, anyone can add them to their guns, some accessories attain the condition requirements of the item they'll be fitted to so fitting a silencer to a section 2 shotgun simply makes it a section 2 accessory.