Sheffield Forum

Edgar Allen Steelmakers and Engineers

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

20-11-2012, 15:15   #1
ABWEALTD

Total Posts: 11
I used to work in the Non-destructive Testing (N.D.T.) Department within the Research Department from 1958 to 1961, it was my first job. Dr. Edwin Gregory was the Chief Metallurgical Director who first interviewed me and to my surprise said "Whatever you do, don't work too hard!".
The Chief Physicist who was an expert on magnets, and also N.D.T., was Fred Hinsley.
One of the interesting jobs I was given was in the Shepcote Lane Track-work Department, they were drilling the holes ( for the bolts for the fish-plates)in the end of the rails and these were cracking up in service. My job was to measure how hot the rail was during drilling. this was done by taking the drillings and putting them into water and measuring the temperature rise caused by this.
This involved physics known as the "method of mixtures" which I had done at school for O level. I also worked on measuring the magnetic properties of steels.
30-09-2018, 15:28   #2
junny

Total Posts: 1
Hello worked at Edgar Allen Foundry doing wages 1978 to close never a day when i did not want to go to work.
loved every day.Even the ride down Attercliffe common in a three wheeler and it wasnt
Dell boy. The pattern shop who stuck heels back on my shoes have last bit of steelmade
also remember furnace going up to Scotland.
01-10-2018, 12:10   #3
gluedtopc

Total Posts: 882
My dad worked there as a pattern maker during the Sixties.
01-10-2018, 12:40   #4
Annie Bynnol

Total Posts: 2,447
Worked in the "new tramway shop" on Shepcote Lane for a few months in 1977 where they finished the manganese castings they made in the foundry.
Some of the manganese castings were for heavily used and/or high speed turnouts and are still being used on the railway today. As well as BR, customers included the tramways in Toronto, Cairo, Hong Kong and Blackpool(one).

The "new tramway shop" was actually brand new.
10-10-2018, 18:17   #5
CF8M

Total Posts: 101
Edgar Allen Foundry was the best part of my life I learned all about steelmaking and melting processes and every aspect of running a melting shop! What memories I have of all the good friends who were more like a family.

Last edited by CF8M; 10-10-2018 at 18:25. Reason: grammar
11-10-2018, 00:25   #6
RJRB

Total Posts: 1,953
CF8M....cast 316 Stainless?
Trying to remember the melting shop managers name for some years.Im sure it was Ray ??? somebody.
11-10-2018, 17:59   #7
CF8M

Sure is!
Ray Wrigley was the Manager and I was his assistant.
When Ray lost his son Stephen in a car accident things changed and I more or less took over from him. A very sad time. even then the writing was on the wall for the future of Edgars. Ray always said that whenever he was asked where in Sheffield did he work the answer was Meadowhall car park!
11-10-2018, 18:32   #8
RJRB

Thanks for that.Was your predecessor Keith Johnson who also worked with Ray?
12-10-2018, 01:51   #9
CF8M

It sure was. Keith left to work for Tommy Wards on the scrap side. He went from there to ELG-Haniel the stainless people in Templeborough and became a Director. I believe his son now works there. I ran into Keith again when I developed a new form of Stainless Steel PAK 450 and I needed some one in Europe to make it. Keith introduced me to Richard Carrs in Hillsborough. Small world in the metal game!

Last edited by CF8M; 12-10-2018 at 17:23.
12-10-2018, 11:40   #10
RJRB

A very small world indeed.
It was Richard W Carrs that then became Carrs Special Steels under Elg ownership.
Elg Recycling was also set up in Melbourne and run by a former colleague of Keith from Sheffield.Did you have any dealings with them?
Thanks for evoking memories.
12-10-2018, 17:22   #11
CF8M

Recycling Processes in Melbourne was run by a good friend of mine David Stewart. His main business was stainless steel scrap and other high alloy, mostly Nickel alloys. I had known David for many years and when I became Technical Director of Graham Campbell Ferrum I set up a Stainless and High alloy division which became very successful. I used to buy Nickel and other materials from David. Things like Cobalt, pure Molybdenum and Selenium I always paid less than the going rate!
David used to send 20 tonne containers of stainless scrap and Nickel alloys to ELG in Templeborough on a regular basis.
David eventually sold out to ELG and they became ELG Recycling, with Jim Smilie in charge with David (forgot surname) as deputy. I still kept buying material from them. David worked for Spartan Alloys in Sheffield at one time.

It's a small world indeed
12-10-2018, 17:50   #12
RJRB

All familiar names.
It would be Dave Beardsall who did come back to England after a while but Iím not sure that he didnít return to Australia.
Interesting chat and all the best.I should be seeing Keith in the next month or so.
12-10-2018, 21:16   #13
CF8M

Dave Beardsall it was!
I believe that Dave was offered the Post of running the Operation for ELG in Chicago and went there for a while. I don't know the full story but he returned to the operation in Campbellfield. He could do this as he and Jim had taken out Australian citizenship and could come and go in and out of the country as they pleased.
13-10-2018, 19:24   #14
gaz 786

Total Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABWEALTD View Post
I used to work in the Non-destructive Testing (N.D.T.) Department within the Research Department from 1958 to 1961, it was my first job. Dr. Edwin Gregory was the Chief Metallurgical Director who first interviewed me and to my surprise said "Whatever you do, don't work too hard!".
The Chief Physicist who was an expert on magnets, and also N.D.T., was Fred Hinsley.
One of the interesting jobs I was given was in the Shepcote Lane Track-work Department, they were drilling the holes ( for the bolts for the fish-plates)in the end of the rails and these were cracking up in service. My job was to measure how hot the rail was during drilling. this was done by taking the drillings and putting them into water and measuring the temperature rise caused by this.
This involved physics known as the "method of mixtures" which I had done at school for O level. I also worked on measuring the magnetic properties of steels.
My old mate craig wooton worked there on shepcoat lane and smithy cant remember hls first name
_______
You get 10 minutes in heaven before the devil knows your dead
Reply To Topic