"New" Restaurant Critic In The Star..

For many a year I have enjoyed reading Martin Dawes's Wednesday restaurant reviews, some highly praised 5 star places, 4 star tryers and 2 & 3 star savagings, all a good read.

We now have a new kid on the block with Jo Davison reviewing places in the Saturday edition, so far every restaurant visited from chain food places in Meadowhall to village pubs have all received 4 stars!!!! What is the point of mamby pamby neutral reviews, they serve no purpose whatsoever, either get more critical or stop writing them Jo.

who really cares what they think anyway

Me, otherwise I wouldnt read them.

There are sooo many restaurants out there at the moment competing for an ever more discerning and careful customer base that it is beholden on restaurant critics to be honest and tell it how it is.

Not everywhere can be "wonderful, marvelous, 5 stars" Those that are should be praised and those that are rubbish should likewise be condemned.

There are sooo many restaurants out there at the moment competing for an ever more discerning and careful customer base that it is beholden on restaurant critics to be honest and tell it how it is.

Not everywhere can be "wonderful, marvelous, 5 stars" Those that are should be praised and those that are rubbish should likewise be condemned.

My point exactly. Well said mate.

I suppose Jo Davidson gets to dine out on expenses!

About as useful as the Takeaway reviews in the Weds edition.

Only MD worth reading.

agreed, used to like MD reviews, Jo Davidson just likes owt by the look of it.

Am wondering if MD has gone soft though?

His critical reviews seem to be fewer and far between.

Unfortunately I think he's too well-known now and likely gets the special treatment.

he got a real backlash on his review for the dore grill letters poured into the star saying how wrong his review was ,4 of us went yesterday, it was very busy 1pm, my 2 friends salmon starters was top restaurant quality, the mains was 10\10 with roast potatoes the best ive had and turkey that just melted in your mouth and a very good lemon pie to finish and 5 star good old fashioned service with a smile and a joke from one of the girls,so what was up with mr dawes, must have been having a bad day

Wonder if Jo reads this she only gave Piccolino's 3 stars this week :-)