What's your favourite European country and why?

Apart from Britain (that's another thread).

I think my favourite is Denmark. Stuff just seems to work in Denmark, they seem to approach life with a "what could we do to make things better" attitude, rather than the "what can we do to make life more difficult" attitude that the UK seems to have. The people are generally friendly, polite, a little reserved, uncynical, thoughtful. It's a bit flat, but there's some lovely countryside and lots of very lovely little islands. They have great ice creams. And the women are just incredible!

Of the ones I have visited, I found the Netherlands the best, I hope to tour all of Europe within the next three years, then I could answer.

Guest sibon
Apart from Britain (that's another thread).

I think my favourite is Denmark. Stuff just seems to work in Denmark, they seem to approach life with a "what could we do to make things better" attitude, rather than the "what can we do to make life more difficult" attitude that the UK seems to have. The people are generally friendly, polite, a little reserved, uncynical, thoughtful. It's a bit flat, but there's some lovely countryside and lots of very lovely little islands. They have great ice creams. And the women are just incredible!

France. I love the French attitude to everything. They genuinely don't seem to give a toss about anything... except striking:hihi:

The country goes on forever and is so varied, from the stunning beauty of Paris, to the wilderness of Brittany to the beautiful south. I love it all. The wine is superb, or dreadful. The food is magnificent. The people are so fantastically rude that you can't help but love them. I'd live there... if I didn't like living here so much.

With an avatar name of Chimay I have to say Belgium. But there's also Germany - another beer loving country. The Netherlands is also a favourite place of mine.

La belle France pour moi, aussi. It has absolutely everything one could wish for.

Spain. Afternoon naps and the food!

With an avatar name of Chimay I have to say Belgium. But there's also Germany - another beer loving country. The Netherlands is also a favourite place of mine.

Belgian beer is bloody brilliant, although I much prefer the Dutch attitude towards cannabis, that said when I was in Antwerp, Belgium I found a pub/koffeshop although the prostitutes in there were a bit annoying.

Norway for my money. My wife's grandparents came from there. Been there a couple of times We always say that if the North American continent gets blown away by hurricanes or earthquakes Norway is where we'll be headed

Britain's alright too and land of my birth. Would love to live up around the great old city of York

Edited by Harleyman

France. I love the French attitude to everything. They genuinely don't seem to give a toss about anything... except striking:hihi:

The country goes on forever and is so varied, from the stunning beauty of Paris, to the wilderness of Brittany to the beautiful south. I love it all. The wine is superb, or dreadful. The food is magnificent. The people are so fantastically rude that you can't help but love them. I'd live there... if I didn't like living here so much.

France is great, I'll agree. Especially the cheese. The cheese is much nicer than the locals :hihi:

I'd probably put France 3rd on my list though, for some reason I am drawn to the Scandinavian temperament - I'd put Finland at no.2. Trees and lakes everywhere, a proper bonkers language which really makes you feel like you're abroad, and exacting standards of rectal hygiene (you can't say that of the French :gag:)

I'm composing my Big List Of Places To Visit/Possibly Work In For a Bit at the moment so this thread is genius.

I haven't travelled enough in Europe (lots of standard touristy weekends away kind of thing) to have a favourite country, but am very interested to hear what everyone else is saying :)

Belgian beer is bloody brilliant, although I much prefer the Dutch attitude towards cannabis, that said when I was in Antwerp, Belgium I found a pub/koffeshop although the prostitutes in there were a bit annoying.

Cherry beer and chocolate seashells and lots of dishy blondes (boys and girls)! Bruges was great. :cool: