Snake pass etiquette..

I use the "Snake" every other day some weeks and I am amazed at all the ubiquitous BMW MERC etc... lunatic's and the Golf contingency too !! that are not aware that the route is now restricted to 50 mph for it's whole length ... and overtaking a hgv going round a corner at speed is not a nice thing to do....when the corner is tight for a hgv so they have to swing out wide... then the idiot driver of said sports cars decides he is going to overtake..... Thanks for running me into the edge of the snake and taking my nearside mirrors out as i hit a branch to avoid some idiot on the wrong side of the road... whoever you were you want to thank yourself lucky that i took the line that would demolish my mirrors rather than many tonnes hitting you full on... Doesn't bear thinking about.... :gag:

People going over the snake in cars please give room for hgv's when going round the many bend's.. it's just cost my firm nearly £300 for the new mirrors.... The speed limit is 50 mph for cars and 40mph for hgv's please bear that in mind when going over the snake to manchester.. ;)

No, they are aware. They just don't give a crap.

On the other hand, there's nothing worse than being stuck behind a HGV. It's all very well saying your speed limit is 40mph but are there many parts of the road you can actually reach that?

I can imagine it being most infuriating being stuck behind something going at 20mph when the limit for cars is 50mph, especially considering the few overtaking points. Its little more than a narrow country lane, and speeders and big lorries alike should really be using the M62.

When I go on it I find the van drivers are the worst for overtaking and speeding.

I hate the people who drive about 30mph, and build up big queues of traffic behind them - If I was them, i'd notice, then pull over and let everyone pass!

I also hate the plonkers who do 20mph all the way along but then when it comes to a straight and i'm in a position to overtake, they put their foot down until the next bend. For Pete's sake!

I also hate it when I drive along and find myself at the back of a queue of about 15 cars, and I know that i'm stuck behind them for the long run. It's actually a bit upsetting!!

(Can you tell I drive the snake most weekends?!)

I use the "Snake" every other day some weeks and I am amazed at all the ubiquitous BMW MERC etc... lunatic's and the Golf contingency too !! that are not aware that the route is now restricted to 50 mph for it's whole length ... and overtaking a hgv going round a corner at speed is not a nice thing to do....when the corner is tight for a hgv so they have to swing out wide... then the idiot driver of said sports cars decides he is going to overtake..... Thanks for running me into the edge of the snake and taking my nearside mirrors out as i hit a branch to avoid some idiot on the wrong side of the road... whoever you were you want to thank yourself lucky that i took the line that would demolish my mirrors rather than many tonnes hitting you full on... Doesn't bear thinking about.... :gag:

People going over the snake in cars please give room for hgv's when going round the many bend's.. it's just cost my firm nearly £300 for the new mirrors.... The speed limit is 50 mph for cars and 40mph for hgv's please bear that in mind when going over the snake to manchester.. ;)

There's no excuse for unsafe overtaking like that, but there's also no good reason for the limit to have been reduced.

I can imagine it being most infuriating being stuck behind something going at 20mph when the limit for cars is 50mph, especially considering the few overtaking points. Its little more than a narrow country lane, and speeders and big lorries alike should really be using the M62.

If folks want to go fast why don't they use the M62?

I hate the people who drive about 30mph, and build up big queues of traffic behind them - If I was them, i'd notice, then pull over and let everyone pass!

I also hate the plonkers who do 20mph all the way along but then when it comes to a straight and i'm in a position to overtake, they put their foot down until the next bend. For Pete's sake!

I also hate it when I drive along and find myself at the back of a queue of about 15 cars, and I know that i'm stuck behind them for the long run. It's actually a bit upsetting!!

(Can you tell I drive the snake most weekends?!)

I can tell you're en route to a heart attack if your journeys across the Snake are that stressful. I think you should find another route.

and they slag us bikers off! we wouldn't do that!

If folks want to go fast why don't they use the M62?

It's not that they want to go fast for it's own sake, I suspect they just want to get where they are going quickly - Snake is a much shorter route if you are going from South Sheffield to South Manchester.

I travel over the snake often.

Sometimes it enjoyable with no hold ups. It's a nice drive at the speed limit of 50 or less. Anything faster is just plain crazy.

Getting stuck in a queue for whatever reason is no big deal. It may take 5 or 10 minutes longer, but what the heck! It's not worth getting upset about.

Boy racers kill yourselves if you want...just don't do it when I may be the innocent other vehicle travelling the route.

No, they are aware. They just don't give a crap.

On the other hand, there's nothing worse than being stuck behind a HGV. It's all very well saying your speed limit is 40mph but are there many parts of the road you can actually reach that?

People who constantly whinge about being stuck behind HGV's on the roads should seriously consider taking public transport.