Time to withdraw state benefits from higher income families?

It's estimated that a quarter of the benefits paid out by the govt. go to people who don't really need them; most of them are regarded as 'pin money' by the recipients. Means testing these benefits might save as much as £31billion a year so it could be a fairly painless way of cutting the public spending deficit.

Article here.

It's estimated that a quarter of the benefits paid out by the govt. go to people who don't really need them; most of them are regarded as 'pin money' by the recipients. Means testing these benefits might save as much as £31billion a year so it could be a fairly painless way of cutting the public spending deficit.

Article here.

Without trying to get dangerously centre-left in my political views I'm in danger of agreeing with this!!

Article here.

That would make sense!

So only the lazy scrubbers should get free hand outs? And all the hard working and sensible people who save money and plan ahead should be punished?

Yep I agree. I would cap Child benefit at the level at which the person starts to pay the higher tax rate currently about £38k I think.

If benefits are to be withdrawn from those on higher incomes it raises the prospect of means-testing. Why not just make benefits taxable? Anyone currently in receipt of benefits who has an income under the relevant minimum threshold would not be affected. Those on higher incomes would automatically pay tax on their benefits.

I'm all for cancelling tax credits if tax rates and the benefits system are overhauled in such a way that a whatever-class taxpayer is no worse off. It won't happen, needless to say.

@ Berlin, a resonable proposition, were it not for the additional bodies the Civil Service (Treasury/HMRC)would require to administer it. So, ultimately, not much of a cost saver.

Edited by L00b

So only the lazy scrubbers should get free hand outs? And all the hard working and sensible people who save money and plan ahead should be punished?

Not exactly how I would word it but you have got the general idea.

Not exactly how I would word it but you have got the general idea.

So why are most people agreeing with it? :huh:

If it meant a reduction in taxes for the middle-classes then I think it would be a vote winner otherwise whichever party introduced it would be committing political suicide.

Article here.

The estimate was made by classing anyone who earns more than £15,000 per year as middle class. This was admitted by the author on Radio 4 this morning.

If you want to win the election, Get out of Eu and anyone without a british passport cant claim benefits or use the services