Overweight children taken away by social services

Just been on the news that a couples children, including a 2 year old baby had been taken away because they were all clinically obese.

There's a massive hoo har about it but, at the end of the day, it's the tax payer who'll be paying in a couple of decades time when they're having heart failure because of their weight.

Didn't hear how many kids exactly they had but it was about 4, all clinically obese.

I think it's harsh but, at the same time if these kids are going to have a longer life with a family that are going to bring them up in a healthy environment then, I think it's for the best in the long run.

Just been on the news that a couples children, including a 2 year old baby had been taken away because they were all clinically obese.

There's a massive hoo har about it but, at the end of the day, it's the tax payer who'll be paying in a couple of decades time when they're having heart failure because of their weight.

Didn't hear how many kids exactly they had but it was about 4, all clinically obese.

I think it's harsh but, at the same time if these kids are going to have a longer life with a family that are going to bring them up in a healthy environment then, I think it's for the best in the long run.

I'm sorry but why do they need to be taken away from their parents. Why can't social services go into the home and actually help the parents and show them how to look after their children and educate them in the correct way to feed them rather than just taking them into care. The easy solution maybe?

And how much do you think it will cost for these children to be looked after whilst in care?

Well I presume they didnt just walk in and say your kids are fat they're coming with us. They will have been in contact for months if not years with no improvment. And you refered to cost, ok it wont be free to keep them in care but, 1. the parents would no longer get child benifiet, and for all of them that adds up to a princley sum. And if you think of the long run, they'll all end up even fatter with heart problems and on disability, and I'm sure decades of disability and health treament would cost more than a few years childcare.

It sounds like this story, which happened started a bit back:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6883919.ece

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-542358/Lose-weight-children-away-Outrage-social-workers-draconian-ultimatum-parents.html

Edited by cgksheff
Standing corrected!

The times story is dated today?

It started last year with the same family but, it has come back in the news today because they have had another child last week, who social workers have moved to take into care because they fear it will become obese.

Well I presume they didnt just walk in and say your kids are fat they're coming with us. They will have been in contact for months if not years with no improvment. And you refered to cost, ok it wont be free to keep them in care but, 1. the parents would no longer get child benifiet, and for all of them that adds up to a princley sum. And if you think of the long run, they'll all end up even fatter with heart problems and on disability, and I'm sure decades of disability and health treament would cost more than a few years childcare.

If my dealings with social services are anything to go by then they could just have walked in, said your kids are too fat, we are taking them! If social services want they can remove children within 24hours and have them put on the at risk register. There doesn't have to been weeks or even months of contact - they can just decide there and then if it is something that they feel isn't right.

If the parents were given help and education on how to bring up the children then I am sure with help and support they would be able to look after their children. But social services would rather take children into care then actually help and give support to parents. It is much easier for them to take children into care then offer any help.

I understand the concern from Social Services but taking the child away and putting it with a foster family seems a bit extreme. The article did say 2 other children had already been taken into care but it didn't mention their ages. Obviously the baby will never know anything different but if they took the older children away from the only parents they've ever known I would imagine it could cause plenty of psychological damage. Including overeating as a way to comfort themselves.

I think it is digusting that those children taken away from their loving parents just because they are overweight .My husband and me could not believe we were hearing right when we were listening to the news,What sort of fascist state are we turning into ! Soon over weight people will being bundled off in trucks and disposed off !the rate this awful country is going,Its not a crime to be over weight and many people are naturally big and dont choose to be overweight and it is not easy for them ,That news made me ashamed to be British!

I think it is digusting that those children taken away from their loving parents just because they are overweight .My husband and me could not believe we were hearing right when we were listening to the news,What sort of fascist state are we turning into ! Soon over weight people will being bundled off in trucks and disposed off !the rate this awful country is going,Its not a crime to be over weight and many people are naturally big and dont choose to be overweight and it is not easy for them ,That news made me ashamed to be British!

Ain't a crime to smoke, but legitimised persecution of smokers is deemed socially acceptable. Why should obese people be treat any different?

they'll all end up even fatter with heart problems and on disability

No they won't because Disability allowance is getting phased out soon.

Edited by Hecate
fixed tags

No they won't because Disability allowance is getting phased out soon.

So they claim ESA instead...

Edited by Hecate
fixed tags

If my dealings with social services are anything to go by then they could just have walked in, said your kids are too fat, we are taking them! ... If the parents were given help and education on how to bring up the children then I am sure with help and support they would be able to look after their children.
On the comments thread underneath the report someone, who was maybe local to this family, said that SS had been working with the family for over a year and that thousands had been spent to try to teach them healthy eating and help to lose weight. So maybe it had been a longterm problem.