Have we had a say on Britains involvement in the EU?

Do you feel you have had a say on Britains involvement on the European Union?

Is it enough that we have the option of the single issue party-UKIP? because lets face it, its only the Labour party and the Conservatives who win general elections in this country, and most people who bother to vote at all, vote for them, and although they are both pro EU parties, il bet most people who vote for them are not necesarally pro EU, so should they take it as read that a vote for them is pro EU vote?

I believe that because the signing of EU treaties which alter the way this country is governed, is of such significance, it ought to be seperated from 'ordinary' party politics that we vote on in general elections, and set asside for referendums, so that voting for say, Labour on their education policies, your not simultaniously giving a pro EU vote even if you dont want to.

Sure, pro EU parties, can try to persuade us to vote 'YES', but wouldnt referendums be a more honest and accurate idea about what the people of this country.

Edited by Aim4

so cos you dont like being in europe........you want to change the goalposts?

so cos you dont like being in europe........you want to change the goalposts?

Yes, i do want to shift the goalposts.....to a more fairer position.

so ive always thought dope smokers shouldnt be locked up.........tell you what lets take that out of the hands of the government too

We were even taken into the "Common Market" (European Economic Community) without a referendum then given one on leaving, the thickos having been scared witless that to leave would spell economic disaster.

Curiously, I have never met a single person yet who will admit to have voted to stay in.

The mincing Tory, Teddy Heath, took us into this corrupt organisation knowing full well that the ultimate aim of this Franco/German led alliance was the creation of a federal state and ultimate political control over Europe.

Edited by Nodens

We've not had a fair say on the EU. A fair say would require a referendum on a regular basis, otherwise anyone recently reaching the age of 18 would have no representation as their opinion would not be taken into account.

A lot of countries who were considered poor relations have benifited massively from the EU, now some of them are not so poor I hope their contributions are adjusted accordingly.

I don't know if this is the case.

In spain and portugal for instance they were still going to market with a mule pulling a cart twenty years ago, these countries have benifited vastly with their infrastructure etc, rightly so in my mind but do they now pay more as their wealth has grown?

I don't know.

The fact that is was necessary to have a vote to join an economic bloc must surely make it imperative that we have one on joining a political union.

It wasn't necessary, and indeed we didn't have one on joining an economic bloc. We joined, in 1973, without a referendum.

Labour chose to hold one a few years later (76?) on whether or not to stay in it, but they would not have been bound by the result in any case. We elect a Government to make major decisions for us; if we don't like the decisions they intend to make, we should have brains enough not to elect them. It isn't as if we have no choice.

The Referendum Party, back in the 90s, formed with one single purpose; to form a Government, hold a referendum on membership of the EU, pass an Act based on the result, then disband and call another election. That's exactly the option you are asking for now; we had it then, and completely ignored it. I don't think they even registered one per cent of the vote.

A lot of countries who were considered poor relations have benifited massively from the EU, now some of them are not so poor I hope their contributions are adjusted accordingly.

I don't know if this is the case.

In spain and portugal for instance they were still going to market with a mule pulling a cart twenty years ago, these countries have benifited vastly with their infrastructure etc, rightly so in my mind but do they now pay more as their wealth has grown?

I don't know.

Thats nice for them :rolleyes:

Britain though has little to gain but a lot to lose.

We've not had a fair say on the EU. A fair say would require a referendum on a regular basis, otherwise anyone recently reaching the age of 18 would have no representation as their opinion would not be taken into account.

Wasn't there a European election very recently? Did UKIP win a massive majority? If not, why not?

No of course we haven't as they want to continue to centralise power with the ultimate aim of a World Government.

You don't have a choice if you want to elect a party that is anti-joining the EU but want a party with proper policies other than that.

The Referendum Party was exactly that choice; indeed, it catered to all anti-EU voters no matter what their other policy preferences might have been.