Activities for people new to the area

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are in our late twenties and new to the south Sheffield area. We are finding our way around but local knowledge is always better than Google! Any recommendations for good food or craft markets, weekend activities, or places to spend a few hours?

We like food, drink, (gentle!) exercise, sewing, cooking, baking, nice parks to walk around etc. Anything around the south or centre of Sheffield or north east Derbyshire would be amazing, thanks in advance!

E

There's a new street food market (canalside) that sounds good. Last Saturday of this month - Google it. Regular food/continental markets in garbage.

Walks - 5 weirs walk town centre to meadowhall is great. About 5 miles but you can get the tram back to Sheffield. Rivelin. Derbyshire - check out stannage edge, Burbage edge, longshaw estate. Just a few. I am sure you will get loads more suggestions.

Thanks Drolnhoj, Street food market sounds amazing! And the tram back from the 5 weirs walk is perfect if there’s hills (we’re getting used to them).

Farmers market at Nether Edge tomorrow...

Farmers market at Nether Edge tomorrow...

That is well worth a visit.

Whilst you are there, drop into Abbeydale Picture House and see what is happening there in the next few weeks

Loads of stuff going on. I find out loads of stuff from Twitter. I have also recently joined a WhatsApp group with people who want to organise doing stuff together, all strangers to each other. There is a plan to meet in The Broadfield this Thursday.

Newbie here. THanks for sharing - will check the street food market.

Sharrow Vale has markets every now and then, and a wander down then in and out of the little independent shops is always worth an hour or so of your time, (especially a shop at Eve Kitchen for one of their incredible doughnuts!)

You say that you like gentle exercise but when in Sheffield you could always give climbing a go. South Sheffield has the Climbing Works, which is bouldering, and in town there is Awesome Walls and the Foundry, which both have a little bouldering but are mainly roped climbing.

Then of course the peak district within a 10 minute drive - how lucky are we to have that right on the doorstep. Walks galore, and day trips to Castleton, Bakewell, Hathersage etc.

If you go to Nether Edge farmer's market, you could pop into the antiques shops in the Antiques Quarter (the two biggest ones are on Broadfield Road between Nether Edge and Meersbrook) and try out Abbeydale Picture House for a drink/pizza on Abbeydale Road, and it's a short 2 minute walk from there to Chesterfield Road with the Tramshed bar and a number of eateries (Tramshed Kitchen, Just Falafs, Make No Bones, Cafe des Amis). From there you're right next to Meersbrook Park which has one of the best views of Sheffield and is good for a wander. Bishop's House (Tudor museum) is also in the park and open for visitors at the weekends (it's free).

Commenting to follow the links

Peddler market is really good! Would highly recommend

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are in our late twenties and new to the south Sheffield area. We are finding our way around but local knowledge is always better than Google! Any recommendations for good food or craft markets, weekend activities, or places to spend a few hours?

We like food, drink, (gentle!) exercise, sewing, cooking, baking, nice parks to walk around etc. Anything around the south or centre of Sheffield or north east Derbyshire would be amazing, thanks in advance!

E

Anywhere amongst the Derbyshire Dales is beautiful and right on your doorstep. From the dozens of little dales with stunning scenery and country pubs, to the might and majesty of Chatsworth House. Bakewell is worth a visit. Matlock and Matlock Bath may do it for you too? Matlock Bath is like a seaside town without the sea. You can get ice-cream, fish n chips, fairground rides and arcades, boats on the river, cable cars up the peaks, and ogle each others motorbikes there, all day long.

I enjoy visiting Hartington, parking up near the village green, going for a 5 mile run or so, up towards Biggin Dale, then back through Wolfscote Dale and Beresford Dale back into Hartington. Or parking up at Over Haddon and walking down Lathkil Dale to the bridge at Conksbury, then a steady walk back up to Over Haddon and a lovely lunch at the Lathkil Dale Hotel.

Dovedale is also a lovely walk, that's more south Derbyshire Dales, near the villages of Parwich and Ilam.

For something much nearer to Sheffield, I'd strongly recommend a drive over Ringinglow moor and to park up at Burbage (you will see many other cars parked there, next to an outcrop of rocks) and walk down the trail to come out near to Fox House.