"City Hearts" charity (Hope City Church) investigation

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

15-03-2018, 09:42   #1
matzie

Total Posts: 77
https://www.channel4.com/news/exclus...funded-charity

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/you-h...aims-1-9063950

"A Sheffield charity is being investigated over allegations that staff were homophobic towards victims of human trafficking who they were supposed to be helping."

Hope City Church is a IMHO (and experience) a deeply toxic organisation, not just to LGBT people, and I think this is the tip of the iceberg.

I'd be very interested to speak with other people they have hurt down the years.
15-03-2018, 11:27   #2
Ben Swithen

Total Posts: 13
Absolutely - there were survivors of trafficking and modern slavery, and they seem to have been put in a situation almost as controlling.

As you point out, City Hearts is inextricably linked with Hope City Church, whose Wikipedia page has a sizable section on past controversies - deceit, abuse and concerning financial tactics, making this seem all the more inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzie View Post
...I think this is the tip of the iceberg.
Indeed - I've know one of the people interviewed, and I understand a lot more was done and said than has so far been reported.

Last edited by Ben Swithen; 15-03-2018 at 11:30.
21-03-2018, 21:18   #3
heh-faar

Total Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzie View Post

I'd be very interested to speak with other people they have hurt down the years.
I was going to PM you with some details but I've not had enough posts to do so (need 5) if you send me your email in a PM I can email you some details about the church though it might be pretty dated but I'm uncomfortable with putting it in a public space.

Last edited by heh-faar; 21-03-2018 at 21:32.
Reply To Topic