Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Q Park Castle Gate

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

13-03-2018, 00:39   #1
JOHN HABS

Total Posts: 2,127
Saturday 10th March 2018, went with my wife food shopping in the city centre and as usual
parked our car in the Q Park at the bottom of Dixon Lane.

On entering, saw notices had been put up stating: Payment by card only

That in itself is bad enough - what happens if you have entered the carpark and forgot to take your credit/debit card with you, there's no attendant on duty........you can't get out !

My wife and I go in town once a month and always park in this carpark - although it goes through me to do so, has we find the cost of parking there increases Every Month.

On the 10th March, when we came to pay at the machine with our card, whereas last month it was £6.00 for up to 3hrs parking, it was now £7.00.

I hate using the bus, but will be doing so in future......a lot cheaper.
13-03-2018, 08:27   #2
haddy

Total Posts: 1,947
Parking one of the many empty council car parks and you can pay by coins. They are always empty.
13-03-2018, 08:54   #3
EmmaJones76

Total Posts: 764
Where are you going food shopping at that end of town? There is only the Co-op and the freezer places and there are plenty of branches of those in Sheffield you can park at without incurring £6 parking, either that or find somewhere else in Sheffield which is much cheaper.
13-03-2018, 10:00   #4
jamesogt

Total Posts: 2,474
Join their loyalty scheme app and every 5th stay is free....
_______
When some people dig a hole for themselves they ask for a ladder, others just ask for a bigger shovel........
13-03-2018, 12:57   #5
Planner1

Total Posts: 8,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by haddy View Post
Parking one of the many empty council car parks and you can pay by coins. They are always empty.
So where are these “empty” car parks then?
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.
13-03-2018, 14:40   #6
beansforyou
Warped

Total Posts: 5,688
Vote with your wallet and shop out of the city centre. They don't want car owners throwing their money away in the city, just cyclists and the homeless.
13-03-2018, 18:55   #7
hackey lad

Total Posts: 4,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJones76 View Post
Where are you going food shopping at that end of town? There is only the Co-op and the freezer places and there are plenty of branches of those in Sheffield you can park at without incurring £6 parking, either that or find somewhere else in Sheffield which is much cheaper.
What does it matter where he is going food shopping ? Maybe his favourite shops are there and he is spending money in the city centre . If he went to Meadowhall ,with its free parking , I dare say you wouldn't be happy with that
Oops

Last edited by hackey lad; 13-03-2018 at 20:16.
13-03-2018, 20:13   #8
JOHN HABS

Total Posts: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJones76 View Post
My wife and I go to the Moor Market once a month for our monthly supply of fresh meat
from our butcher, then into the Poundland, Sainsbury's and Boots.

If anyone knows of a carpark whether it be an indoor one or outdoor one that is close by to this area, reasonably priced and you can pay by coins, it would be appreciated it you would let me know, has we don't really fancy taking the bus - but, if this is what's required in having to avoid paying extortionate prices to park our car for a couple of hours or so, then we will be taking the bus.
13-03-2018, 20:36   #9
ECCOnoob

Total Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN HABS View Post
My wife and I go to the Moor Market once a month for our monthly supply of fresh meat

If anyone knows of a carpark whether it be an indoor one or outdoor one that is close by to this area, reasonably priced and you can pay by coins, it would be appreciated it you would let me know, has we don't really fancy taking the bus - but, if this is what's required in having to avoid paying extortionate prices to park our car for a couple of hours or so, then we will be taking the bus.
If you are shopping at the moor end forget about parking in Castlegate there are car parks much closer. Atkinsons is the cheapest I think. £1.30 an hour.

The APCOA car park on Eyre Street has a special rate for Market shoppers which can be claimed from the customer service desk or Furnival Gate NCP has some fixed prices for shoppers too.

Its always worth doing a bit of research.

Last edited by ECCOnoob; 13-03-2018 at 20:41.
13-03-2018, 20:39   #10
hackey lad

Total Posts: 4,320
I think hes got his roads mixed up
13-03-2018, 21:06   #11
sedith

Total Posts: 3,628
Quote:
Saturday 10th March 2018, went with my wife food shopping in the city centre and as usual

That in itself is bad enough - what happens if you have entered the carpark and forgot to take your credit/debit card with you, there's no attendant on duty........you can't get out !

My wife and I go in town once a month and always park in this carpark - although it goes through me to do so, has we find the cost of parking there increases Every Month.

On the 10th March, when we came to pay at the machine with our card, whereas last month it was £6.00 for up to 3hrs parking, it was now £7.00.

#
I wouldn't use Qparks ever again after they charged me £10.20 for 3hrs 45min at Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton. The strange thing is that 5 mins away is the free Council run Silk Mills Park and Ride which calls at the hospital and between 10am and 4pm it is £1.70 return park and ride fare on the bus
_______
The Devil made me do it!
13-03-2018, 21:38   #12
bertyboop

Total Posts: 646
There's the charity car park behind decathlon which I think is 60p per hour, there's the decathlon car park it's self which allows you to stay up to 2 hours for £2. Both are coins only and at the bottom of the moore.
13-03-2018, 21:45   #13
EmmaJones76

Total Posts: 764
Quote:

I see. You are parking a mile away from where you need to be then and the suggestion of the car park next to the market, and the charity car park, are good ones. You can also get an hour free in the Staples car park if you are light on your feet, or park in Waitrose for a few hours for free and nip through the underpass to the bottom of the Moor..
13-03-2018, 21:50   #14
Naive

Total Posts: 766
There is a car park right next to the market, which is £3 for 2 hours, I think.

Or you can park on street across Eyre Street in many of the back roads there.

Or, you could be naughty and park in Waitrose, or Decathlon, or Wickes and walk over to the Moor from there.
13-03-2018, 22:25   #15
bertyboop

Total Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive View Post
There is a car park right next to the market, which is £3 for 2 hours, I think.

Or you can park on street across Eyre Street in many of the back roads there.

Or, you could be naughty and park in Waitrose, or Decathlon, or Wickes and walk over to the Moor from there.
Decathlon have started charging, even for customers. They reimburse the pound the customer has paid once at the till inside when you show them your ticket.
13-03-2018, 23:20   #16
haddy

Wicker used to have a parking attendant on
14-03-2018, 01:31   #17
The Joker

Total Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive View Post
I’ve used the Waitrose car park when I’m down that end of the city; customers get two hours free (so make sure you pop in, buy summat and keep the receipt.

They have a security guard patrolling the car park, but I don’t know if he is there to ticket overstaying vehicles or to stop the beggars in the underpass from TWOCing goods
14-03-2018, 10:11   #18
haddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner1 View Post
So where are these “empty” car parks then?
The biggest one is where the old fire station was followed by a few smaller ones round there. Never had a issue parking there even at peak time.
14-03-2018, 11:19   #19
hotrock

Total Posts: 1,558
Not 100% sure but i am sure that the Moor Market and a few of the bigger stores (Debenhams, Atkinsons) etc offer a discount against the carparking if you can prove a purchase in the store/market. I am almost positive the help desk in the market has a form of scanner on the counter for this purpose
14-03-2018, 11:52   #20
sheffbag

Total Posts: 2,079
Quote:

Dont park in the Q Park at all. There is the NCP across the road which is 50p an hour (so £1.50 for 3 hours) up to a max of £4 for the day or the victoria quays which is £3 all day across the road. both are less than 2 min away from the Q Park.
Reply To Topic