Sheffield Forum

Bin collections in the snow...

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

07-03-2018, 19:51   #21
Zarniwoop

Total Posts: 233
S13 black bin collection should have been last Thursday, left bin out as normal, was emptied yesterday, they even took extra black sacks some people had put out.
07-03-2018, 20:56   #22
cytine

Total Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
S13 black bin collection should have been last Thursday, left bin out as normal, was emptied yesterday, they even took extra black sacks some people had put out.
I'm S13 and my bin was emptied this morning. Blue bin due tomorrow.
07-03-2018, 22:10   #23
simonj

Total Posts: 1,636
Not sure how they went about the order of sorting missed bin collections. First bins they wouldn't have collected would have been last Wednesdays, the first day of snow (and our black bin day) so you would think they'd start with those. They clearly didn't as even though they worked over the weekend and extra hours (according to their website) ours was only collected today. Didn't cause too much of an issue for us but surprising that it took so long.
_______
"Is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me"
09-03-2018, 21:24   #24
metalman

Total Posts: 6,636
Blue bin was meant to be emptied last Thursday, but wasn't and is still out there. Black bin emptied as usual yesterday. Apparently Veolia have said crews will be working at the weekend so there seems little point taking it in now when there's a chance it might get emptied.
10-03-2018, 22:17   #25
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 53,055
Posts consisting of personal comments and bickering have been removed. If you cant have a discussion like adults then its better that you dont post at all.

Thank you.
11-03-2018, 12:00   #26
euclid

Total Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-red View Post
Posts consisting of personal comments and bickering have been removed. If you cant have a discussion like adults then its better that you dont post at all.
Thank you.
Nice one......just to add in S26 our bin was collected as usual..people should realise the bin wagon drivers are only doing what they will have been told by their immediate supervisors....blame "health and safety" ....if anyone has an accident due to adverse weather conditions and they have been told to go out as usual by the management..the onus is on them,and they are the ones who may end up in court ..Driving a large truck in the snow/ice etc is not as easy as people think..the moaners should remember this
11-03-2018, 14:57   #27
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclid View Post
Nice one......just to add in S26 our bin was collected as usual..people should realise the bin wagon drivers are only doing what they will have been told by their immediate supervisors....blame "health and safety" ....if anyone has an accident due to adverse weather conditions and they have been told to go out as usual by the management..the onus is on them,and they are the ones who may end up in court ..Driving a large truck in the snow/ice etc is not as easy as people think..the moaners should remember this
For "health & safety" read "insurance requirements".
_______
UK debt now 1,920 billion. It was 700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017
12-03-2018, 05:59   #28
amnicoll

Total Posts: 149
I do not about anyone else but I have no problems with what the bin men have or have not done but my issue is with the lack of communication from Veolia and the council.

I think it would have been reasonable to have suspended all collections on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I for one would not liked to have been out there collecting bins in that weather
12-03-2018, 09:49   #29
niallzi

Total Posts: 92
Our flat complex has 4 black bins for 9 flats.

There are also 4 recycling bins however they only accept paper and cardboard - no plastic, tins or glass.

So the bulk of the waste still has to go in the black bins, so naturally it doesn't take long until they start overflowing. Ridiculous loop hole when they don't accept overflowing bins but don't provide us with enough in the first place!

I have to do skip runs to the tip at Gleadless Valley to get rid of our plastic, paper and tins, and usually take a couple of general waste bags with me too becuase you can't fit them in the sparse bins we are provided with.

--EDIT--

Sorry, I didn't see this was about bin collections in the snow. I was just having a rant about bin collections in General
_______
You're everywhere and nowhere baby...

Last edited by niallzi; 12-03-2018 at 10:06.
12-03-2018, 09:54   #30
nightrider

Total Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
For "health & safety" read "insurance requirements".
given how many spun cars, cars left wedged in walls etc I have seen around I am glad they have not tried to get heavy lorries up and down steep hills covered in snow.
18-03-2018, 21:57   #31
Shazbat

Total Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingedge View Post
Our blue bin was emptied on Sunday morning, then folks saw lorry then put their bins out they are still there and full.
Our blue bins were also collected Sunday morning (11th) and again on Friday (16th) which I weirdly half-expected them not to be, ironically. Unfortunately now our gate lock is frozen solid and I can't get the bin back in the garden!
_______
Sheffield is the centre of all greatness in the Universe (c) Jarvis Cocker 2006
Reply To Topic