Sheffield Forum

Bin collections in the snow...

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-03-2018, 19:33   #1
verydull
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 1,431
So today the bin men came down our road. The advice from veolia on twitter was to not put the bins out if it wasnt safe, and that the bin men would also not be working if it wasn't safe.

However, I heard them this morning shouting all the numbers they couldnt collect, as in every single house on this side of the road. We have steep steps to get the bins up and heeding the advice I didnt take them up because it wasn't safe. There was snow on the steps, as clearing it would have resulted in ice (and I dont have a shovel, and since the steps are blocked couldnt have gone and got one.

The bin men told me they weren't coming back, but weren't even doing the ones they usually have to come down for either because they didnt deem it safe.

I rang veolia and they said I should have taken them up and because i didnt present my bin, then I hve to wait 2 weeks, despite it not being any of our fault that we were not expecting the bin men to make it today with the dangerous weather.

anyone got any idea where i can complain to, because trying to wait 2 more weeks for a black bin collection is impossible.
  Reply With Quote
02-03-2018, 19:50   #2
francypants
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Total Posts: 26,274
What is there for you to complain about ?
  Reply With Quote
02-03-2018, 20:46   #3
Allen
Registered User
Allen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In exile up a Welsh mountain
Total Posts: 2,564
Blame the weatherman?
  Reply With Quote
02-03-2018, 20:50   #4
cytine
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Total Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydull View Post
So today the bin men came down our road. The advice from veolia on twitter was to not put the bins out if it wasnt safe, and that the bin men would also not be working if it wasn't safe.

However, I heard them this morning shouting all the numbers they couldnt collect, as in every single house on this side of the road. We have steep steps to get the bins up and heeding the advice I didnt take them up because it wasn't safe. There was snow on the steps, as clearing it would have resulted in ice (and I dont have a shovel, and since the steps are blocked couldnt have gone and got one.

The bin men told me they weren't coming back, but weren't even doing the ones they usually have to come down for either because they didnt deem it safe.

I rang veolia and they said I should have taken them up and because i didnt present my bin, then I hve to wait 2 weeks, despite it not being any of our fault that we were not expecting the bin men to make it today with the dangerous weather.

anyone got any idea where i can complain to, because trying to wait 2 more weeks for a black bin collection is impossible.
Don't have a shovel??? I clear my path (It has a bit of a slope) and then put salt down, never iced up yet.
  Reply With Quote
02-03-2018, 20:50   #5
melv
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2006
Total Posts: 945
Take note of the OPers user name��
  Reply With Quote
02-03-2018, 22:41   #6
its smee
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Total Posts: 128
Veolia put on twitter to put bins out as normal and leave until collected, mines been out days and still not collected but its stopping there until it is. If i hadnt bothered putting it out and they had come i would consider it my fault and no-one else to blame.

I cant see what there is to complain about. you didnt put the bin out on the allotted day and it wasnt collected
  Reply With Quote
02-03-2018, 23:50   #7
Squiggs
Registered User
Squiggs's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Total Posts: 7,191
There, there - It'll all be forgotten about by June despite the obviously unprecedented hardship being suffered right now.

Or the sun might not come up in the morning and it reaaly IS the end of the world.

One of the two options
_______
If your dog is seized do not sign anything without reading and understanding it, if you sign your dog over to the authorities, they can destroy your dog.
You do not have to sign your dog over no matter what you may be told. If your dog has been seized, contact DDA Watch: ddawatch@gmail.com or 0844 844 0802
  Reply With Quote
03-03-2018, 04:27   #8
Jon26
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Total Posts: 847
Borrow a shovel then dig yourself out if you can't walk through it. Then go and buy yourself one so you're prepared for next time.
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2018, 11:23   #9
barleycorn
Registered User
barleycorn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Total Posts: 4,570
I don't understand why you can't walk up steps with a bit of snow on???
_______
Reality is not based on definitions or word associations or quotes from a book. Reality is what you have after all the books have been put away and you keep your mouth shut. You don't need language to know reality. Anything that requires language to make itself known is not reality but the artifice of words, simply word associations, predicates on paper that can nowhere else be seen.
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2018, 11:47   #10
Lex Luthor
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Total Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydull View Post
So today the bin men came down our road.....
anyone got any idea where i can complain to, because trying to wait 2 more weeks for a black bin collection is impossible.
I sympathise. If you acted on Veolia's own advice and you are being disadvantaged because of it, then that is simply wrong.

---------- Post added 06-03-2018 at 11:48 ----------

Are we allowed to put additional rubbish out if our usual service has been missed?
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2018, 15:39   #11
euclid
Registered User
euclid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Total Posts: 557
Rotherham bin men came down our road this morning and collected what they couldn't last week....well done RMBC..binnies...
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2018, 17:05   #12
vwkittie
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Total Posts: 4,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydull View Post
So today the bin men came down our road. The advice from veolia on twitter was to not put the bins out if it wasnt safe, and that the bin men would also not be working if it wasn't safe.
They can hardly say 'you must put your bins out regardless of how dangerously slippy it is as we really want little old ladies to fall over, and we'll be sending the bin men out even if there's sheet ice or 3 foot of snow on the roads'

They err'd on the side of caution with the message in case they couldn't send the lorries out, but obviously decided to send them out after it seemed ok. You chose not to put your bin out, chalk it up to experience.

If you have too much waste, take it to the dumpit site.
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2018, 17:45   #13
amnicoll
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Total Posts: 150
I am surprised that the council has not seen the money making opportunities and sent the enforcement officers out to fine the likes of me and my neighbors who have now had our bins out for 6 days

No doubt the council did not put anything in the contract with veolia about communication in times of disruption hence the simple kop out of leave your bins out we are collecting which may be true but not our bins

What is really annoying me is the lack of sensible communication as now for 5 days I have been advised to leave my bins out as they were collecting. Still they stand un-emptied and the winds continually blow the paper everywhere

It might have been sensible to have suspended collections Wed/Thursday, Friday and put in places comprehensive plans given this cold spell was forecast so far in advance
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2018, 19:40   #14
verydull
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwkittie View Post
They can hardly say 'you must put your bins out regardless of how dangerously slippy it is as we really want little old ladies to fall over, and we'll be sending the bin men out even if there's sheet ice or 3 foot of snow on the roads'

They err'd on the side of caution with the message in case they couldn't send the lorries out, but obviously decided to send them out after it seemed ok. You chose not to put your bin out, chalk it up to experience.

If you have too much waste, take it to the dumpit site.
Great, your volunteering your car..
Last time I checked they don't accept walk ups at the dump site. And I can't take my black bin on the bus without being stared at..
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2018, 08:46   #15
EmmaJones76
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Total Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydull View Post
Great, your volunteering your car..
Last time I checked they don't accept walk ups at the dump site. And I can't take my black bin on the bus without being stared at..
I have walked into three of them (Shirecliffe, Woodhouse, Gleadless) on foot (after parking my car on the road outside due to the large queue) and just lobbed my stuff in quite happily. They can hardly stop you, in any case they may be too busy to see where you have come from.

As an aside, you claim the advice was not to put the bins out if it wasnt safe.

Was it safe?
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2018, 16:49   #16
Arthur Ritus
Registered User
Arthur Ritus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Wadsley Bridge
Total Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnicoll View Post
I am surprised that the council has not seen the money making opportunities and sent the enforcement officers out to fine the likes of me and my neighbors who have now had our bins out for 6 days

No doubt the council did not put anything in the contract with veolia about communication in times of disruption hence the simple kop out of leave your bins out we are collecting which may be true but not our bins

What is really annoying me is the lack of sensible communication as now for 5 days I have been advised to leave my bins out as they were collecting. Still they stand un-emptied and the winds continually blow the paper everywhere

It might have been sensible to have suspended collections Wed/Thursday, Friday and put in places comprehensive plans given this cold spell was forecast so far in advance
I completely understood and agreed with the bins not being collected under the conditions an even accept it if we completely missed our recycling collection altogether.

However the way veolia have told everybody to leave the bins out blocking the paths until they get around to them is crap. Perhaps a system where if the bins aren't collected by 7pm or if notice is given no collections that day they should be removed from the roadside and notice will be given for a new collection date. It would mean it could not be the following day as people would be at work and unable to put bins out, you need about 16 hours min notice, but better for everybody to have a planned day rather than left out for a week or more.

They must (or certainly should) have a plan for catching up, presumably by working longer days and slotting the missed ones in then, just put the dates on the council AND veolia websites, its not difficult.

On the Council site it directs you to the veolia site which tells you to see your local council site for information, talk about passing the buck, ended up having to phone up.

Tomorrow it will have been a week for us, at what point do we give up and pull them back in?

Its a good job we haven't had the traditional March winds or they wouldn't have had any thing to collect. Just a bit more rubbish strewn around wadsley bridge.
_______
The truth I only wish, are all fishermen liars or do all liars fish?
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2018, 17:55   #17
cytine
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Total Posts: 748
Where I am the bins have not been emptied for 3 weeks because of the weather, no complaints about that it couldn't be helped. I have noticed that rubbish is obviously piled up so what is it going to be like when collections go to monthly?
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2018, 18:51   #18
bottletree
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Sheffield Lane Top
Total Posts: 59
Nothing at all to help anyone who has left their bins out on the Veolia website. Blue bins have been left out on street now for 6 days and still not emptied. Black bins tomorrow. So what do we do Veolia? Nothing on your rubbish web page, so everyone's left in the dark. Bunch of useless prats.
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2018, 18:54   #19
grand
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Total Posts: 1,712
just leave bags next to bins if they dont take them council will have to
_______
up the owls
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2018, 19:43   #20
cuttingedge
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Total Posts: 191
Status: Online
Our blue bin was emptied on Sunday morning, then folks saw lorry then put their bins out they are still there and full.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:08.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018

Nimbus Server