Supertram problems

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-12-2017, 22:11   #41
biotechpete

Total Posts: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJones76 View Post
What on earth does it have to do with the Council?
The tram and bus stops are maintained by SYPTE, which is run by Sheffield City Region combined authority of which the leader of SCC is a member.

---------- Post added 21-12-2017 at 22:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by semerpus View Post
Thatís the nature of turn up and travel systems.

Itís not possible to lengthen the trams as they wouldnít fit on the platforms

The yellow tram should stop st university and then fast non stop to Hillsboro Park (as it goes several stops further) and the blue could serve all intermediate stops.

Ultimately if a tram arrives and itís busy itís an individuals choice to board it
My guess is the blue tram less than 5 mins in front of the yellow would prevent it going to Hillsborough any faster...
_______
Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat
21-12-2017, 23:00   #42
dutch

Total Posts: 3,977
My knowledge of technology and it's development is seriously decreasing as I get older. When I look round me at trams trains and busses they are lagging behind even more and seem to be controlled by old stuck aging sleepwalking people.
_______
ď. . . gentleness is stronger than severity, water is stronger than rock, love is stronger than force.Ē

Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha
22-12-2017, 08:03   #43
EmmaJones76

Total Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by biotechpete View Post
The tram and bus stops are maintained by SYPTE, which is run by Sheffield City Region combined authority of which the leader of SCC is a member.[COLOR="Silver"]
So SCC cant go round whacking GPS on buses and trams, thank you for confirming.
22-12-2017, 12:40   #44
Sheff2006

Total Posts: 1,125
Maybe if there weren't so many buses (120, 52, 51) going up and down West Street and causing the blue and yellow trams to be delayed (and vice versa) then the service maybe could improve. High frequency routes all on the same road doesn't work.
22-12-2017, 12:42   #45
alexander874

Total Posts: 179
Traffic a nightmare in Hillsborough yellow route taking over 20 minutes to travel from Hillsorough to Middlewood and back to Hillsborough .
22-12-2017, 13:02   #46
Michael_N

Total Posts: 1,299
9 times out of 10 it's the trams that cause the congestion, particularly in the Hillsborough area.
22-12-2017, 13:02   #47
Cyclone

Total Posts: 70,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria1867 View Post
I absolutely hate getting the tram now. I try to get on the 7:55 from Leppings Lane but sometimes it's so full you cannot physically get on. And that's only the second stop from the start of the yellow route! I usually try to get the 4:45 ish home from University and it's just as bad. They need to add more trams or make them twice as long. It's dangerous.

Also - those sign things only wind us all up more. They're in no way linked to the real-time of the trams; just go from the timetable!
Twice as long
That'll be fun, jumping down at the front and back where they don't fit into the stops. And all the junctions they'll block when stopped at signals.

Re:Leppings lane, get the tram 10 mins earlier, it's a lot quieter.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 13:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_N View Post
9 times out of 10 it's the trams that cause the congestion, particularly in the Hillsborough area.
That's simply not true is it.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
22-12-2017, 13:04   #48
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 5,297
Biggest problem with the Trams is that they are there at all, holding up the motorists.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
22-12-2017, 13:05   #49
alexander874

With some trams carrying standing loads it hardly matters when most cars are carrying 1.25 passengers , 4 car lengths equal 1 tram .
22-12-2017, 13:08   #50
Michael_N

Total Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Twice as long
That'll be fun, jumping down at the front and back where they don't fit into the stops. And all the junctions they'll block when stopped at signals.

Re:Leppings lane, get the tram 10 mins earlier, it's a lot quieter.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 13:03 ----------

That's simply not true is it.
So when there's 2 or more trams waiting to get into Hillsborough tram stop and stopping all the traffic waiting behind them for a few minutes at a time, this doesn't cause traffic?

Likewise with signals for trams having priority and giving general traffic less time on their sequence, this is what backs Holme Lane up etc.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 13:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
Biggest problem with the Trams is that they are there at all, holding up the motorists.

Angel1.
Well said!

Peasant waggons on rails haha
22-12-2017, 16:23   #51
alexander874

The reason there are trams following each other are caused by one man cars jamming the streets , maybe if these people in their polluting metal boxes used public transport we would all move around a lot quicker .

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 16:25 ----------

Shall we replace one tram with 50 cars every 10 minutes then you will know what real congestion is like .
22-12-2017, 17:39   #52
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,311
Quote:
There were far more cars than usual today. I had to drive through at lunchtime, I could have walked much more quickly. I can see the tramgates returning to 24/6 with only Sundays giving free access to Middlewood/Langsett Road.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
22-12-2017, 17:40   #53
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYorksDeano View Post
Plus all the new trams are apparently out of action as they cant cope with ice/frost/snow
The one I was on the other week had a puncture.
22-12-2017, 18:48   #54
biotechpete

Total Posts: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJones76 View Post
So SCC cant go round whacking GPS on buses and trams, thank you for confirming.
Although I imagine, if they were inclined to, they could require SYPTE to stipulate it as a condition of the public transport contracts in Sheffield. The reason we elect representatives is to get this sort of thing done.
_______
Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat
22-12-2017, 19:22   #55
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheff2006 View Post
Maybe if there weren't so many buses (120, 52, 51) going up and down West Street and causing the blue and yellow trams to be delayed (and vice versa) then the service maybe could improve. High frequency routes all on the same road doesn't work.
Delays on West Street are normally later on in the evening and caused by taxis
22-12-2017, 20:43   #56
Olive

Total Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

Re:Leppings lane, get the tram 10 mins earlier, it's a lot quieter.[COLOR="Silver"]
The earlier trams are just as bad at recently Cyclone. I get on at Middlewood and you used to be pretty much guaranteed a seat any time, but not now. By the time we get to Leppins lane it's often a struggle even for people to get on.
23-12-2017, 00:24   #57
busdriver1

Total Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by biotechpete View Post
Although I imagine, if they were inclined to, they could require SYPTE to stipulate it as a condition of the public transport contracts in Sheffield. The reason we elect representatives is to get this sort of thing done.
If there were contracts that might be relevant but since most services are commercially run with only minor interference from local authorities it has no chance.
23-12-2017, 08:03   #58
Bargepole23

Total Posts: 1,380
Quote:
So when there's 2 or more trams waiting to get into Hillsborough tram stop and stopping all the traffic waiting behind them for a few minutes at a time, this doesn't cause traffic?

Likewise with signals for trams having priority and giving general traffic less time on their sequence, this is what backs Holme Lane up etc.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 13:09 ----------

Well said!

Peasant waggons on rails haha
Wow, what a wealthy and important person you must be to have a car, and not have to use a 'peasant wagon'

Maybe if you thought a bit harder you might realise the reason for all the traffic, of which you are a part, is yours and others attitude to transport.
23-12-2017, 08:13   #59
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
The earlier trams are just as bad at recently Cyclone. I get on at Middlewood and you used to be pretty much guaranteed a seat any time, but not now. By the time we get to Leppins lane it's often a struggle even for people to get on.
When I was working, I resorted to walking to Malin Bridge in the morning. I preferred the walk to standing for most of my journey if I got on at Leppings Lane on an early tram.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
23-12-2017, 08:55   #60
Cyclone

Total Posts: 70,161
Quote:
Traffic which is going where, straight into a tram junction it can't pass through?
It's very rare to have 2 trams so close together anyway, and only happens when car traffic has already caused large amounts of congestion.
Quote:

There might be some truth to that, except Holme lane backs up in both directions just due to the volume of traffic on it, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the lights at Hillsborough corner.

And if the tram magically disappeared and those 2 full trams of people all suddenly had a car each, how long do you think the queue you've attributed to the tram would become? There are over 200 people on each full tram, that's 400 cars in the queue in front of you, each car is 2 metres long, plus (generously) a metre of tarmac between cars is 1.2km of queue.
The tram is what, 40m long, 2 of them, with a breaking gap, less than 100 metres.
So you think that adding 1.1km of usage to the road (and that's just a snapshot of 2 trams) will somehow reduce the queue length you're in.
Perhaps you should stop whining and get on the tram for an easier journey.

---------- Post added 23-12-2017 at 09:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I only catch it occasionally instead of cycling, but at 0730 ish (to 0745) I can always get a seat at Middlewood Rd.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg

Last edited by Cyclone; 23-12-2017 at 09:01.
Reply To Topic