Sign in to follow this  

"Bouncers"- The public perception?

When you read the above word to this post, what initial image did it conjure up?

In my experience, a great many of these guys- many untrained but increasingly most are 'badged'- are in the security lark mostly for the girls, then the cash, the 'status' and often the (misdirected) threat or actual use of 'power'. Thus they get a certain reputation amongst the public, rightly or wrongly.

It only takes a few rotten apples(as described in this board) to taint the entire stall. And there are plenty of bad ones around the city/country that do deserve their 'come-uppance' for being morons, cowards and (sometimes 'tooled-up')bullies.

But what the public seem(or choose) to forget is that there are also many 'bouncers' who aren't criminals, bullies or gratuitously aggressive, who happen to be fairly educated, decent and polite, and who do this difficult, unpopular and often dangerous and unpredictable job(usually a second job) to bring in extra, much-needed money for their wives/girlfriends and kids- to whom they are faithful and whom they miss whilst doing this unsociable work.

It is perhaps these 'bouncers' who go unnoticed amongst the usual media barrage of stereotyping?

They're the ones patrolling the nightspots- frequently bored stiff and already tired from their day job- amongst the noise, the densely-packed crowds, the smashed bottles/glasses(etc), the cig smoke, the violent footie 'fans' at weekends and, of course, the many bad-mannered idiots who seem to possess an arrogant, bitter & vile attitude to life in general(even when sober)! And all this when they may have their own personal life upsets and bad days!

It's these same 'bouncers' who are there to help and protect that same fun-loving public (from the many more thugs and dangerous morons in society) who would otherwise be left vulnerable, frightened and threatened...or worse!

This isn't a justification for the idiotic thugs that give all doormen a crap name, it's simply balance to alert folks to the many good ones. I know this for certain, because I was a 'bouncer'/doorman several years ago in Sheffield city centre for nearly two years, and the latter paragraphs describe my own (then)circumstances and still-relevant observations, and those of several other colleagues from that recent era!

I'm sure DaB would find this interesting reading.......

A lot of the doormen that I've met while out have been the perfect gentlemen.....I've never had a problem with one. :smile:

I'm sure DaB would find this interesting reading.......

I welcome all views, but my post is genuine, and reflects my own lucid and considered observations and experiences, as stated.

If people still continue to stereotype all doormen, then it's a sad indictment of society. Where would that logic end- 'judging' every section of society?

I welcome all views, but my post is genuine, and reflects my own lucid and considered observations and experiences, as stated.

If people still continue to stereotype all doormen, then it's a sad indictment of society. Where would that logic end- 'judging' every section of society?

He'd find this interesting as he [as his username (DaBouncer) suggests] was also a bouncer. :smile:....

I've been doing clubnights for the last 3 years at a varity of venues around Sheffield. I would say a vast majority are professional, well trained and know their job. I've never seen anybody beated up by doorstaff although in the past as a punter I have.

Most doorstaff I know prefer to talk their way through situations and are good at calming the situations down rather than going in fist first as was the norm 10 or 15 years ago.

There are a few doorstaff who use the forum, Roy James, Silverbackdj and DaBouncer so it would be interesting to hear their views.

There was a long thread about this on sheffield forum but I cannot seem to find it.

It's not a job I would want to do even more so with the world cup coming up where people will be drinking from early afternoon.

IMO I think they do a good job; as quite a vulnerable girl liable to get in trouble after a few drinks they have been nothing but good in helping me if theres a guy causing trouble etc.

And most are happy to oblige when we request drunken photos... :)

I had a horrible one the other night, whilst waiting for my lift, he was really flirting and even told me how big his erm - piece was :gag:

As usual my lift was like half an hour late and I was getting really freaked out so started to wander off away from him.

I had a horrible one the other night, whilst waiting for my lift, he was really flirting and even told me how big his erm - piece was :gag:

As usual my lift was like half an hour late and I was getting really freaked out so started to wander off away from him.

Where was that at? :eww:

Sorry to hear that, sunshine (also Don, above)- there are good and bad in every walk of life, unfortunately.

I have a very bad opinon of Sheffield bouncers in my experiance they take the law into there own hands by thinking its ok to rough people up and they judge you by what you wear,if you wear a certain label you must be associated with football and are going to cause trouble,this i think is pathetic.

Please dont say that it is the pubs/bars that make these decisions because it is not they act on the so called bouncers advise

Thats my two pence worth on this subject

all bouncers think there gods gift and something there not when really just wannabe hard men