Searchlight.. Criminals?

Our friendly political party are claiming that Searchlight (hope not hate) are commiting a criminal act by telephone canvassing asking voters not to vote for BNP candidates on Thursday. The Party want people to record the calls to pass evidence on to the Police to demand for a criminal investigation into Searchlight’s pre-election activities.

However searchlight (not a political party) who are an anti facist campaign magazine cite that the party have also been telephone canvassing. Is it illegal for someone who is not a political candidate or representing a party to ask people not to vote for a particular candidate?

It's not illegal to ask, but telephone canvassing is a different kettle of fish.

It's not illegal to ask, but telephone canvassing is a different kettle of fish.

How so Joe? I know parties do telephone canvassing.

Thanks for that Joep, so as long as they abide by the rules and don't call people on the tps list its fine. So why do the BNP say that searchlight are committing a criminal offence?

Because the BNP are lying hypocritical morons with a very short memory and an even shakier grasp of history :)

(edited for typo)

I had a look at their online tv today. Shocked at the amazing propoganda they post on there.

Well any group who phones me and ask me not to vote the BNP or any other political party will be told to go forth. They can always create their own political party....or have they (Respect?) :D

Well any group who phones me and ask me not to vote the BNP or any other political party will be told to go forth. They can always create their own political party....or have they (Respect?) :D

Searchlight are just a campaigning group, not a party. They do have supporters though which is why the BNP are trying again :rolleyes: to discredit them.

Searchlight are just a campaigning group, not a party. They do have supporters though which is why the BNP are trying again :rolleyes: to discredit them.

Well if they do have supporters then these supporters will obviously be voting to it is political. No one should have the right to try to discredit any party. They (as part of a party) should sell the benefits of a party not discredit othes.