Home brew wine and beer

No doubt this is a stupid question, but why do people never seem to home brew grape wine?

You mean traditional red / white wine ?

I brew white wine from kits I bought at brewmart. Made from grapes it is fantastic.

Many of the people on here clearly enjoy the craft of making a wine from fruit they have picked locally. I don't believe that in our region we can grow grapes which would make great wine, if we lived in Italy then this would be a different matter.

You mean traditional red / white wine ?

I brew white wine from kits I bought at brewmart. Made from grapes it is fantastic.

Many of the people on here clearly enjoy the craft of making a wine from fruit they have picked locally. I don't believe that in our region we can grow grapes which would make great wine, if we lived in Italy then this would be a different matter.

Yes that was what I meant. I see what you are saying about locally grown fruit. Just every time I hear anyone talk about making their own wine they seem to have used something other than grape. Which you would think would be the obvious choice.

cynic try getting some ingredients from supermarkets, it isnt seasonal , you can brew all year round, ive made plum, carrot, and ginger wines up to now they are just what i bought in tescos, £4 for 4lb of value plums, £3 for 4lbs of carrots and £2 for some ginger root pretty cheap really

hi all

just been looking at this because im wanting to make my own cider for xmas i only want to use a cider kit as ive never made any before im just looking for some general advised and also need to know what equiptment i need

hi all

just been looking at this because im wanting to make my own cider for xmas i only want to use a cider kit as ive never made any before im just looking for some general advised and also need to know what equiptment i need

Try Wilkinsons in town as they still sell several home brew kits and equipment. Its where I now get my wine yeast from.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/browse/70?ex=co_wizr-locayta&template=wz_locayta&pageno=1&perpage=10&collate=pdxttype%3Apdxtcolourn%3Apdxtbrandn%3Apdxtsizen%3Apdxtmaterialn%3Apdxtpackqtyn%3Apdxtheightn%3Apdxtpowern&setsortorder=name&setsortname=ascending&fieldinvt=type&termtextinvt=invt&typeinvt=exact&fieldpcatid=pcatid&typepcatid=exact

The kits have all the necessary ingredients (excluding sugar) and will tell you what other equipment is needed. Normally that would be a brew bin, bung and airlock, long handled spoon and maybe a hydrometer. The expensive part is buying the initial equipment but after that its cheap. I tend to store beer and cider in empty sterilised 2ltr plastic pop bottles as they can take great pressure and not shatter on you if you do it wrong, and they cost nowt!

I used to have a cheap paperback book "Traditional Beer and Cider making" by Ian Ball which had some good recipes in and told you about the basics of brewing.

I mainly do wine now though and my next go will be some Rhubarb wine..:D