Sheffield Forum

The future of De Hood Boxing Centre

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

15-03-2018, 09:41   #1
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 53,105
A community boxing centre in Sheffield is facing an uncertain future after Costa Coffee and Iceland have expressed an interest in building on the land.

De Hood has helped to transform the lives of a lot of people, and has been praised by the police for helping to reduce crime in the area.

It would be such a shame if this valuable resource couldnt carry on.

Quote:
The centre is now used six days a week by visitors for boxing, football, basketball, boot camp and weight loss sessions. There is also a drop-in called 'Kick Back Recovery' for people with drug and alcohol problems.
From...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/conce...tate-1-9063992

There is a petition here to help secure De Hoods future...

https://www.change.org/p/secure-a-lo...action.control

Last edited by nikki-red; 15-03-2018 at 09:43.
15-03-2018, 09:59   #2
EmmaJones76

Total Posts: 317
Seems fair enough to me, as far as I understand it that arent using the whole primary school and there is nothing stopping them finding new premises.

Plus they arent paying a single penny to be there and have had free rent for a number of years.
15-03-2018, 12:02   #3
kidley

Total Posts: 7,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJones76 View Post
Seems fair enough to me, as far as I understand it that arent using the whole primary school and there is nothing stopping them finding new premises.

Plus they arent paying a single penny to be there and have had free rent for a number of years.
By all intent and purpose this is a charity, no users pay anything, what hood wants is a permanent place (and to pay rent) to work from so they can get some funding to carry on,
The funding they have applied for (lottery etc) have told them that they would fund them if, they get a permanent place, and that above all els is what they want.

Change.org

Thank you for signing, David

Your signature is a crucial first step in joining the Secure a long Term lease from Sheffield City Council for De Hood's Future!! campaign.

Help this petition win by taking a moment to tell your friends and family why this is important to you.

Complete the checklist below to reach even more supporters.

Sign this petition

Post to Facebook

Tweet your followers

Promote this petition

Copy the note below and email it to your friends

Hello,

I just signed the petition, “Secure a long Term lease from Sheffield City Council for De Hood's Future!!.” I think this is important. Will you sign it too?

Here’s the link:

https://www.change.org/p/secure-a-lo...iter=863378226
Thanks,
_______
Beware of critics who claim to know what you mean better than you do.

Last edited by kidley; 15-03-2018 at 12:07.
15-03-2018, 12:29   #4
EmmaJones76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidley View Post
By all intent and purpose this is a charity, no users pay anything, what hood wants is a permanent place (and to pay rent) to work from so they can get some funding to carry on,
Not quite, read the Change.org thing carefully, they want to apply for some listing to stop the building being demolished and stay where they are.
15-03-2018, 12:49   #5
kidley

Quote:
Not quite, read the Change.org thing carefully, they want to apply for some listing to stop the building being demolished and stay where they are.
C&P

De Hood Community Project needs to secure a long term lease on it's existing premises "The Old Prince Edward School Buildings" at Manor Top from Sheffield City Council.

My Bold
_______
15-03-2018, 13:00   #6
EmmaJones76

So they want to stop the building being demolished, as I said.

Nothing stopping them looking elsewhere within the area. You never win against corporate forces.
15-03-2018, 13:11   #7
kidley

Quote:
So they want to stop the building being demolished, as I said.

Nothing stopping them looking elsewhere within the area. You never win against corporate forces.
you are correct, never been any doubt about that
_______
15-03-2018, 16:54   #8
onewheeldave
Autistic User

Total Posts: 5,079
Petition signed.

Quote:
They've got a good place in the area already, and they are certainly doing more good for the community than a couple of junk food purveyors like Costa Coffee and Iceland.

As for "you never win against corporate forces", I'd like to see you back up that bizarre claim.
15-03-2018, 17:41   #9
Narden Dee

Total Posts: 865
well looking at the area there is a perfectly good building down the road sitting vacant and that is the old fire station why should the council give them a long lease when whoever owns the fire station could give them occupation.

the land is too valuable and shops would bring in more revenue for the council and also brighten the area up.

I don't doubt that what they have been doing is laudable and has had an effect but they must have known what was happening when they took on the site
15-03-2018, 17:57   #10
onewheeldave
Autistic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narden Dee View Post
well looking at the area there is a perfectly good building down the road sitting vacant and that is the old fire station why should the council give them a long lease when whoever owns the fire station could give them occupation.

the land is too valuable and shops would bring in more revenue for the council and also brighten the area up.

I don't doubt that what they have been doing is laudable and has had an effect but they must have known what was happening when they took on the site
The community boxing centre does far more for the area than Costa Coffee or Iceland ever will.
15-03-2018, 20:10   #11
kidley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narden Dee View Post

my bold
ime afraid not so, it started very small and nobody, and i mean nobody could have envisaged how this place has took off.
_______
15-03-2018, 20:19   #12
Penistone999

Total Posts: 8,564
They dont own the land they use for this club, so have no say if the owner sells it to a developer. The land is probably worth a lot of money.

---------- Post added 15-03-2018 at 20:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldave View Post
The community boxing centre does far more for the area than Costa Coffee or Iceland ever will.
But it dosnt provide the jobs and investment into the area like Costa and Iceland would.
15-03-2018, 20:26   #13
kidley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penistone999 View Post
They dont own the land they use for this club, so have no say if the owner sells it to a developer. The land is probably worth a lot of money.

---------- Post added 15-03-2018 at 20:20 ----------

But it dosnt provide the jobs and investment into the area like Costa and Iceland would.
Which would you rather have

C&P

Since the project started over 6 years ago South Yorkshire Police have reported that crime has dropped by up to 60% and South Yorkshire Fire Service have reported that Arson/Fires have halved.

https://www.change.org/p/secure-a-lo...iter=863378226
_______
15-03-2018, 20:28   #14
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 53,105
Iceland have now denied having interest in the land...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/icela...-gym-1-9066064
15-03-2018, 21:23   #15
EmmaJones76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidley View Post
[/B]

my bold
ime afraid not so, it started very small and nobody, and i mean nobody could have envisaged how this place has took off.
In which case it's time to find somewhere else and pay the market rate. The old fire station seems a good suggestion.
16-03-2018, 17:35   #16
onewheeldave
Autistic User

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/ex-ba...back-1-8058844

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Reagan says: “Crime dropped by 37 per cent within just a few weeks of us starting this project and fires in the area reduced by half. We’ve been visited by the fire service, police and local MPs who are all amazed by what we’re achieving here. We have Russian kids, Somali, Bangladeshi, Slovakian and Pakistani kids at the club - talk about integration, we’re leading the way.

---------- Post added 16-03-2018 at 18:37 ----------

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/n...ghting-chance/

Quote:
Originally Posted by
The new Sheffield Recovery Community drop-in at De Hood opened its doors earlier this month, supporting those with drug and alcohol issues. As well as talking through problems and supporting each other, this drop-in packs a punch offering free boxing training and fitness classes to help people become more healthy and motivated to stay on the road to recovery.
19-03-2018, 12:32   #17
philyyy

Total Posts: 931
Quote:

The benefits of the place appear to be saving the authorities more money than they'd ever expect to get in from rent.
20-03-2018, 16:13   #18
rollwithit

Total Posts: 630
I can't see the coronations?

How does teaching kids how to fight keep them on the straight and narrow?

Most solders who learn how to fight/shoot weapons then want to do it in the field.
So civilians learning a fighting art/sport may be tempted to use it for street fighting, defending themselves whilst committing crime etc.
20-03-2018, 16:36   #19
philyyy

Total Posts: 931
Assume you mean correlation.

It is giving the kids something to do. Teaching them discipline and allowing them to expel their energy in a more useful way than they might otherwise. The stats appear to speak for themselves. Boxing and other sports have saved many people from going along a less desirable path.
Reply To Topic