Uber Sheffield suspended from 16th December.

Sheffield renews Uber's licence for five years

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-uber-britain-sheffield/sheffield-renews-ubers-licence-for-five-years-idUKKCN1GP327

and:

Uber ran into trouble with Sheffield city council in December after it failed to respond to officials’ queries, resulting in the suspension of its licence. Uber said it had not received the correspondence the council referred to as it had been sent to the wrong address.

:rolleyes:

They can charge lower fares because they use the new law, which means they use out of town drivers, who pay less insurance, less council costs, and lower vehicle maintenance costs.

The local competition (i.e City) would eventually have to do the same.

The only difference in these things, is that SCC no longer has any control about who drives in their own city.

I take it that you are assuming that the out of town drivers pay less for insurance, less council fees, less vehicle maintence costs?

I have friends whom operate both on Sheffield plates, and others whom operate on out of town, and as far as I can gauge, insurance costs are same/similar (driving a Skoda, Avensis etc, in Sheffield or in Rotherham etc - Insurance seems just the same). Council fees are similar, some charge less for licences, but more for test, guess it all evens out.

And maintence, I can’t see many mechanics charging less to fix a car dependent on where the car is licenced? What diffidence does it make?.... cost of a tyres, brakes etc, all same.

I take it that you are assuming that the out of town drivers pay less for insurance, less council fees, less vehicle maintence costs?

I have friends whom operate both on Sheffield plates, and others whom operate on out of town, and as far as I can gauge, insurance costs are same/similar (driving a Skoda, Avensis etc, in Sheffield or in Rotherham etc - Insurance seems just the same). Council fees are similar, some charge less for licences, but more for test, guess it all evens out.

And maintence, I can’t see many mechanics charging less to fix a car dependent on where the car is licenced? What diffidence does it make?.... cost of a tyres, brakes etc, all same.

If you have friends, ask them why they choose OOT than SCC?

;)

You'll generally hear one of 3 answers.

1. (most common if they are good mates who tell you truth) - they can't pass the Sheffield knowledge test.

2. Cheaper using OOT

3. Cheaper using OOT and don't have to deal with SCC + cheaper costs + can't pass the SCC knowledge test

If you have friends, ask them why they choose OOT than SCC?

;)

You'll generally hear one of 3 answers.

1. (most common if they are good mates who tell you truth) - they can't pass the Sheffield knowledge test.

2. Cheaper using OOT

3. Cheaper using OOT and don't have to deal with SCC + cheaper costs + can't pass the SCC knowledge test

My point was in response to your original post, about out of town drivers somehow enjoying lower insurance costs and maintenance costs, which I beleave is wrong.

As to why some choose to be licenced from another area, I beleave there is much more to this, than SCC costs, and the “knowledge test”.

1. Some friends actually live in the town they are licenced, i.e Rotherham.

2. I have one friend whom was chose to get licenced in Nottingham, and then actually moved to Nottingham to work. Reason being, there was a time not so long ago, in the days before UBER, that firms like City would not take on any new drivers. In fact non of the firms where really taking on drivers, so there was no point in doing the SCC tests, as there was no job at the end of it.

They kind of made it a perfect storm, not taking on drivers, resulting in people looking out of town for opportunities, then suddenly UBER comes along, and firms that have literally held the monopoly on the taxi market suddenly find that there no longer the only ones in the game, and everyone is taking on drivers, so all them OOT drivers suddenly find employment opportunities much closer to home.

3. Lastly, it’s just a mute point. But I myself was originally licenced from Rotherham, and then later I got my Sheffield licence. Reason I went to Rotherham first, at that time SCC had a age criteria, you had to be 21. Rotherham however, you only had to show you had been driving a full year, so I passed my test when I was only 19.

I worked for years in Rotherham, and a tiny bit in Sheffield, but it’s been many many many years ago now. So everyone’s circumstances are different. It would be unfair to just generalise, each one on its own merits.

My point was in response to your original post, about out of town drivers somehow enjoying lower insurance costs and maintenance costs, which I beleave is wrong.

When I made that comment things weren't the same as now (recent days) so the Rotherham part can be side-tracked now. It's the far OOTs (rossendale/wolves/Tfl) that now is the only concern.