The Ale Club - new pub/bottle shop

It does look very good inside and there are some excellent beers on offer. It was very busy when I popped in so not that comfortable but it`ll tick a lot of boxes for a lot of folk, particularly on Eccy Road.

I went there the other day about 4pm for a nosey as I was walking past and I was following the guide from sheffieldalepubs.

The service was nice and friendly, the prices not very cheap though.

It has a feeling of a long narrow bar and there was hardly anywhere to sit. The long bench near the bar is not very practical and two small tables might be better if more room could be made.

I went there the other day about 4pm for a nosey as I was walking past and I was following the guide from sheffieldalepubs.

The service was nice and friendly, the prices not very cheap though.

It has a feeling of a long narrow bar and there was hardly anywhere to sit. The long bench near the bar is not very practical and two small tables might be better if more room could be made.

Cheap isn't always good, you get what you pay for. You want cheap? Go and drink the bland, twiggy water they sell in wetherspoons. If you want your beer to actually taste of something, be prepared to pay a bit more for it

Cheap isn't always good, you get what you pay for. You want cheap? Go and drink the bland, twiggy water they sell in wetherspoons. If you want your beer to actually taste of something, be prepared to pay a bit more for it

Agree. Comfort-wise, I`m not so sure, I`ll need to visit again. Funnily enough, if I`m out for a few beers on me own, I feel less inclined to go to micro-pubs.... :confused:

Was.quite pleased,like the beer house gentleman's club.

Did like the Welbeck beers at PH,shame if it closes.

you are one of a few there mate. I think Welbeck's offerings are very poor and I know from speaking with a number of real ale aficionado's that there's a general consensus that they are poor quality. Their beers have been kicked out of Portland House apparently for that reason. The good news is, if you like them then you'll not find it difficult to find something else you like.

Agree. Always struggled to drink that stuff / gave up trying.

I'm afraid you're wasting your time explaining that. It's in the genes of Sheffield folk. The price comes into everything. "Arr much is it?" not "How good is it?". Really gets my goat this - but that's why we don't have much "top end" anything in the city (apart from real ale pubs) because local folk won't pay for it.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 08:07 ----------

Agree. Comfort-wise, I`m not so sure, I`ll need to visit again. Funnily enough, if I`m out for a few beers on me own, I feel less inclined to go to micro-pubs.... :confused:

I know what you mean by that. Sometimes, especially after a frenetic day at work, I just want to go out by myself, have time to reflect on things and not feel obliged to get into some banal conversation around a bar with strangers.

If I'm feeling like that then I'd probably avoid going to a micro pub because it's like being in someone's own home and you can't really avoid a conversation in such places. There are many other times though when I'm happy to along and get into conversation with folks I don't know. The Beer House on Ecclesall Road is a very friendly place - it usually has some interesting local beers too - although I don't bother going in there during the week as they only put the stronger beers on at weekends for some reason.

I am a big fan of the Beer House and am happy to sit there by meself. The beer there now is getting really good imho.

you are one of a few there mate. I think Welbeck's offerings are very poor and I know from speaking with a number of real ale aficionado's that there's a general consensus that they are poor quality. Their beers have been kicked out of Portland House apparently for that reason. The good news is, if you like them then you'll not find it difficult to find something else you like.

One man's wines another man's poison,because you and your mates don't like it means sod all to others.