Kind strangers - dykes hall road -around 4pm-ish today

My 80 year old mum was stranded at the Hillsborough Interchange bus station this afternoon, because the adjacent part of Langsett Rd was closed due to an accident nearby and all the buses were suspended. She'd normally get the 52A bus to Wisewood, but cabs couldn't get through the road closure either, so she was left with no choice other than to try to walk it home. Quite an ordeal for her, because as well as being 80, she has breathing difficulties and a painful, swollen, ulcerated leg.

As my mum started the long weary trudge up the steep Dykes Hall Rd, she was knackered and stopping every few yards. A small passing group of about 4 or 5 young people, aged around 14/15, stopped to ask if she was ok - and one of the young lads even offered to pull her shopping trolley up the hill for her. Then, a bit further up Dykes Hall Rd - a cab pulled up next to her. The cab driver had noticed her struggling, so told her to hop in and he'd take her where she needed to go - at no charge. She offered to pay him when he got her safely home, but he was having none of it....bless him!

The kids and the cab driver who helped my mum so much today, were just random, passing strangers, who saw a frail old lady struggling...and stopped to help her. She is very grateful to these kind people...and so am I.

What a lovely story.

I'm particularly moved to hear of the kindness of the group of teenagers who stopped to help her. Teenagers get such a bad press but the vast majority of them are decent human beings. The parents of this bunch should be very proud of them.

It's a shame that the good kids don't get as much publicity as the ones causing trouble.

I hope your Mum is ok.

Edited by Daven

Well done to all involved :thumbsup: Yes some kids get bad press but they are not all bad , believe me

Thanks Daven. I agree with you about young people. They get a bad press these days, but the very vast majority are kind and decent kids.

My owd lass is okay. I spoke to her a couple of hours ago and although she's physically knackered and a bit shaken up by the whole experience, she's in good spirits and coping well. I truly believe that the helpful actions of the kind kids and the kind cabbie have raised her spirits and helped her deal with stress of it. all.

Just goes to show that there are decent and helpful people in our wonderful city!

Well done to all involved :thumbsup: Yes some kids get bad press but they are not all bad , believe me

Always nice to see people of any age helping out others in times of need.

Just goes to show that there are decent and helpful people in our wonderful city!

Ah look who is talking, didn't you make some shortsighted comments earlier about decency on a certain location and are now throwing rose petals over Sheffield. There are decent and helpful people all over the world.

Lots of nice helpful people around. What happened to the old woman in support does not surprise me.

Edited by dutch