Parkwood Landfill

Quite surprised to discover that a landfill operates so close to the city center and dominates the landscape...

I live in Birkendale and it looks really close from here. I was wondering if local people have ever reported problems related to the site...

We are based just down the road, We haven't has any problems, not even a nasty whiff

We are based just down the road, We haven't has any problems, not even a nasty whiff

Almost everyone around the site has though.

we live close to it and on hot summers days you do get the odd pong.

we live close to it and on hot summers days you do get the odd pong.

Its what you cannot smell that is more worrying.

Is the site still active? Rarely I can see truck going uphill there...

I'm not from Sheffield, I've just come here in 2010, and since last June I live in the area (right in front of the Blake Hotel).

I'm planning to buy a house in Sheffield, but probably I will chose another area just because of this.

Is the site still active? Rarely I can see truck going uphill there...

I'm not from Sheffield, I've just come here in 2010, and since last June I live in the area (right in front of the Blake Hotel).

I'm planning to buy a house in Sheffield, but probably I will chose another area just because of this.

You should also take into consideration that it is not just the landfill site that could be a problem, it is the chemical waste dump on the back edge of the site that is the most worrying.

You should also take into consideration that it is not just the landfill site that could be a problem, it is thechemical waste dump on the back edge of the site that is the most worrying.

Are any local residents glowing in the dark yet ?

Are any local residents glowing in the dark yet ?

They should be, it would make it easier for the police to spot them at night.

Definitely, but what really worries me is that nobody talks about it in Walkley/Upperthorpe/Birkendale area, despite the site is pretty close. I've tried talking to neighbours, and lot of them seem just ignoring the problem or saying they've never had any problem.

I've noticed that there is a local steering group in Shirecliffe, probably because people in the area are the most affected.

However, it is a shame for the whole Sheffield having such a site in the middle of the city.

Definitely, but what really worries me is that nobody talks about it in Walkley/Upperthorpe/Birkendale area, despite the site is pretty close. I've tried talking to neighbours, and lot of them seem just ignoring the problem or saying they've never had any problem.

I've noticed that there is a local steering group in Shirecliffe, probably because people in the area are the most affected.

However, it is a shame for the whole Sheffield having such a site in the middle of the city.

During the 70s and 80s the site was used to dump low level radioactive waste from the Windscale nuclear plant.

Do you want to live forever? Why worry over something which was started over 60yrs ago a lot of people have come and gone in that time and I doubt very much it was the tip that killed them unless they fell into it.If it annoys you because you can see it from your home either move or plant some trees,you can't move the tip.