'Offence' - Does It Actually Mean Anything?

With all of the threads going on and the potential for 'hate speech'...

What does being offended actually mean? And does offending someone actually matter?

Isn't saying that you're offended just a way of shutting down a discussion with someone who has a differing view?

I disagree with practically everything said by UKIP, BNP, Britain First etc. But, i would nevet shut down their right to say what they think.

What does 'being offended' actually mean, and why do your feelings matter more than someone else's thoughts?

is this another one of those "snowflake" threads because you dont like the idea of hate speech being shut down so youre offended? :hihi:

What does being offended actually mean?

You really don't know?

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 21:46 ----------

'hate speech'...

Those inverted commas suggest that you doubt that it exists - correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest makapaka
You really don't know?

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 21:46 ----------

Those inverted commas suggest that you doubt that it exists - correct me if I'm wrong.

It would be really good if occasionally you explained your own point of view before disappearing when your snipes have been shown to be misguided.

It would be really good if occasionally you explained your own point of view before disappearing when your snipes have been shown to be misguided.

i guess that applies to you too...

Offenc “ does it actually mean anything.” ..yes, the dictionary is your friend.

The best way i can explain it is this:

I use the 'c' word. Someone doesn't like the 'c' word. They say they are offended by the 'c' word. Yet the 'c' word doesn't bother me.

Should their being offended override my being able to say the word?

If someone is 'offended' by something... so what?

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 22:20 ----------

i guess that applies to you too...

Offenc “ does it actually mean anything.” ..yes, the dictionary is your friend.

Isn't 'offence' just a way to shut down an argument because you disagree witb what someone says?

Personally, i have never been offended. People have said things i disagree with and things i find inappropriate, but i've either ignorwd them or challeneged. However, i've never tried to shut down their right to speak or give an opinion.

So, a dictionary might give a definition, but that doesn't mean anything.

With all of the threads going on and the potential for 'hate speech'...

What does being offended actually mean? And does offending someone actually matter?

Isn't saying that you're offended just a way of shutting down a discussion with someone who has a differing view?

I disagree with practically everything said by UKIP, BNP, Britain First etc. But, i would nevet shut down their right to say what they think.

What does 'being offended' actually mean, and why do your feelings matter more than someone else's thoughts?

My honest feelings about this are mixed.

As a gay man, if someone called me a 'queer *******' I'd be really offended. In actual reality, I shouldn't give so much weight to what some bigot thinks, but words do hurt.

Having said that I've participated in discussions on here about, what I regard as the modern misappropriation of the word 'gay' to mean 'lame'. Things can, and should be discussed in a reasonable way. And that's fine - no problem for me.

From the outside looking in, it's impossible to know if someone is being disingenuous in claiming they are offended by something that is done or said, people's experiences are invisible. But I do think a good rule of thumb is if you wouldn't like something nasty to be said about you, don't do it to other people!

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 22:33 ----------

I use the 'c' word. Someone doesn't like the 'c' word. They say they are offended by the 'c' word. Yet the 'c' word doesn't bother me.

Isn't 'offence' just a way to shut down an argument because you disagree witb what someone says?

Personally, i have never been offended. People have said things i disagree with and things i find inappropriate, but i've either ignorwd them or challeneged. However, i've never tried to shut down their right to speak or give an opinion.

But there are social norms. I might use the 'c' word with my mates at the pub or with some of my colleagues at work, but I wouldn't use it in front of my Mum!

As a gay man, if someone called me a 'queer *******' I'd be really offended. In actual reality, I shouldn't give so much weight to what some bigot thinks, but words do hurt.

Having said that I've participated in discussions on here about, what I regard as the modern misappropriation of the word 'gay' to mean 'lame'. Things can, and should be discussed in a reasonable way. And that's fine - no problem for me.

From the outside looking in, it's impossible to know if someone is being disingenuous in claiming they are offended by something that is done or said, people's experiences are invisible. But I do think a good rule of thumb is if you wouldn't like something nasty to be said about you, don't do it to other people!

In my heavier days if someone called me a fat ******* it was the fat bit that cut not the ******* bit. And I was fat. Can that be classed as offensive or just mean spirited? If a doctor called me fat, that's helpful apparently.

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 22:33 ----------

But there are social norms. I might use the 'c' word with my mates at the pub or with some of my colleagues at work, but I wouldn't use it in front of my Mum!

Totally understand what you're saying.

Through primary school i was bullied for being fat, and through secondary school i was bullied for being fat and having long hair after i got in to metal.

However, looking back, i can't say i was ever 'offended' by what i was called.

In my 30s, i was was called a 'balled <removed>' by some geezers in a car driving past me... i was far too bewildered to be offended, and acually find it quite funny looking back.

At many points through my life i could have claimed to be offended, but what would it have gotten me?

In my heavier days if someone called me a fat ******* it was the fat bit that cut not the ******* bit. And I was fat. Can that be classed as offensive or just mean spirited? If a doctor called me fat, that's helpful apparently.

Probably both offensive and mean spirited - not really necessary. On the other hand if your doctor said that you were fat, and for the good of your health you should lose a bit of weight then you'd be less inclined to take offence - because your GP is saying it with good intent. Drs wouldn't use the word fat, they use obese nowadays so people don't take offence!

Being offended and being ignored are not synonymous. You can be offended while at the same time continue debate or conversation...

Totally understand what you're saying.

Through primary school i was bullied for being fat, and through secondary school i was bullied for being fat and having long hair after i got in to metal.

However, looking back, i can't say i was ever 'offended' by what i was called.

In my 30s, i was was called a 'balled <removed>' by some geezers in a car driving past me... i was far too bewildered to be offended, and acually find it quite funny looking back.

At many points through my life i could have claimed to be offended, but what would it have gotten me?

In some ways, having the ability to not be offended by other people must be an asset. I've lost count of the times that I've being angered and upset by homophobic comments. Possibly as an adult, I'm less likely to get angry by what others say - I'm just more comfortable in my skin, and mature enough to know that when people call others names it's their problem.

I think free speech is important, and there are lots times when I wished people wouldn't shut down debate....I think this 'no platforming issue' by a number of student unions is corrosive and immature.

I also think that if people are not offended then they shouldn't claim that they are. I think it's really cowardly to try and guilt trip someone into keeping quiet on the pretence that they're 'offended'.