Public wifi info for a shop / cafe?

Ok im unemployed, im going for a job im not 100% sure is me but why the hell not

Im going for manager of a local village community shop / cafe (it doesnt say you need managerial experience but i was sort of a team leader at my last place (factory), its staffed by volunteers and is none profit based but they do want to increase profit to put back into the business.

anyway

it says ideally you need to help work towards maximising profitability so i've been thinking, 2 things id look at to start (and mention in my application letter) i was at a birthday do in the local village hall last night and there was no internet at all, so it got me thinking, how about free wifi in the cafe to get people sitting buying a scone etc, can you use a normal home wifi or do you need a proper business one?

whats the pluses, negatives on public wifi (i thought if i change the password monthly maybe?)

also ive had a look on social media they are on facebook but last post was march last year, so two computer based things i can do regularly to make them better / more popular? No idea if theyre on twitter as i am not, they are on linked in (but theres nothing apart from the business name on there) and theyre not on google+ either, maybe look at that new one too Vero.

Obviously being IT literate its stuff i can do the community group overseeing it dont have to worry about that aspect.

In terms of getting wifi access, what will the cost of setting it up, and which ISP? I would also ensure that you would select an ISP that allows 3rd Party Routers so you can control the router's privacy more adequately and make it secure, rather than 'open' as that can pose a potential risk to customers data. ;)

All the best and hope something comes of it.

In terms of getting wifi access, what will the cost of setting it up, and which ISP? I would also ensure that you would select an ISP that allows 3rd Party Routers so you can control the router's privacy more adequately and make it secure, rather than 'open' as that can pose a potential risk to customers data. ;)

All the best and hope something comes of it.

cheers fella

thats what i was asking really, is there a difference? is there legal difficulties in using say a home one?

somebody on another site mentioned using 2 networks? 1 for till, financial and one for public?

These are just ideas to put foward to try and boost profibility and obviously get me noticed, small community places dont tend to want professional managers in my experience.

The biggest concern could be this this new Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

You'd need to then look at ISPs and see if you're breaching the TOCs of using a cheap home service. You may need their entry level business broadband.

Then there's locking it down to ensure its not used for illegal purposes.

With all those issues and liabilities it might be worth just going with a third party professional outfit like The Cloud.

an interesting development in this case.

i received an email today telling me i havent got the job..sadly, BUT part of me was expecting that tbh as i was pushing my "management" experience somewhat.

HOWEVER

They did like my application and have taken notice about my comments on not having a real digital footprint, or one thats not been properly realised. they did mention none of the community volunteers or committee have the skills really to utilise it like how it should be done as i mentioned.

They said it is cheeky, BUT if i wanted to do it on a voluntary basis then my skills would come in handy. NOW it is cheeky BUT i really am thinking about it as

A:- its a community based local charity.

B:- I am still unemployed.

C:- I do have IT skills and some ideas on how it should be done.

D:- It can be added to my CV

E:- which leads me to the future, i have applied or thought about applying for a couple of social media marketing positions but dont really have the experience. It is a cheaper, good way to get your name and products out there and not having a web presence in this day and age is not good business practice. Even to the point of a few people who visit whitby or say staithes might see their produce on facebook and think, i know we'll pop in there when we go up.

Again folks

Yay? nay? any advice, technical knowledge about social media marketing.

They are on facebook but its not been updated for over a year.

They are on linked in but its just a blank page

They arent on twitter (i saw one woman posted a picture of a postbox outside the shop from last year) all the rest mentioning it are from like 2014 when it mustve been taken over by the community.

They arent on google+

They arent on instagram

obviously theres that new one, Vero too?

I say go for it. You might prove yourself to be better than the person they hired, and after the trial period has ended you could have their job!

Can't hurt to volunteer to do the work for them. They might be hiring again in the future and having worked with you if it's gone well they might well just hire you.

I say go for it. You might prove yourself to be better than the person they hired, and after the trial period has ended you could have their job!

Can't hurt to volunteer to do the work for them. They might be hiring again in the future and having worked with you if it's gone well they might well just hire you.

Yeah missus works for charities and says they could get funding in the near future and if they like what they see may create a full / part time position for it. especially if theres meetings and they like you, what you can do.

On top of that its something else on mi cv as apart from IT qualifications i dont actually have any IT work experience really, couple of voluntary ones and helping out with IT on the training courses ive participated in.

Yeah, go for it mate. You've nothing to lose and who knows what it might lead to.

Times like this you need a like button on here Oo