USB Mouse and keyboard stopped working

I have a new-ish windows 10 laptop. For the last 6 months I have been using it with an external mouse and keyboard, both wired with USB cables.

Last night both mouse and keyboard stopped working. I get a bing-bong noise when plugging in but they are unresponsive. When I go into device manager they are both listed under 'Other devices' with a yellow triangle. If I select Properties > Details > Problem status, it says "There are no compatible drivers available for this device C0000490"

If I delete the drivers, remove and plug in again the machine goes through the motions of reinstalling the drivers and says the device is ready to use, but they are not, they are back under other devices with the triangle and the same status message.

I have tried 2 different wired mice and 2 wireless ones. I also tried different keyboards (wired and wireless), different models from different makers, with exactly the same results. I also tried a USB headset with the same result. I have tried using different USB ports on the laptop.

A USB hard drive, memory stick and webcam all work perfectly.

I have checked for microsoft updates but they are all installed.

I don't know what else to check, does anyone have any suggestions?

Try adding them at start up devices and printers make sure mouse is plugged in before you turn laptop on

Absolutely no luck at all. It looks like a total reinstall or forget using external mouse/keyboard. It's hard to believe it can be this hard getting a bloomin keyboard to work.

Information 19/02/2018 11:14:57 UserPnp 20001 (7005)

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver lfhidusb.inf_amd64_50bf98061f9ac77d\lfhidusb.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C062\5&2E2D6E34&0&3 with the following status: 0xE0000219.

Information 19/02/2018 11:14:57 UserPnp 20003 (7005)

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service LUsbFilt for Device Instance ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C062\5&2E2D6E34&0&3 with the following status: 0.

Warning 19/02/2018 11:14:57 Kernel-PnP 442 None

Device USB\VID_046D&PID_C062\5&2e2d6e34&0&3 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_27C6&PID_5301&MI_02\6&23cb0910&0&0002

Class Guid: {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFE000F122

Present: false

Information 11:14:57 Kernel-PnP 430 None

Device USB\VID_046D&PID_C062\5&2e2d6e34&0&3 requires further installation.

Can you do a rollback to a previous restore point?

I have a new-ish windows 10 laptop. For the last 6 months I have been using it with an external mouse and keyboard, both wired with USB cables.

Last night both mouse and keyboard stopped working. I get a bing-bong noise when plugging in but they are unresponsive. When I go into device manager they are both listed under 'Other devices' with a yellow triangle. If I select Properties > Details > Problem status, it says "There are no compatible drivers available for this device C0000490"

If I delete the drivers, remove and plug in again the machine goes through the motions of reinstalling the drivers and says the device is ready to use, but they are not, they are back under other devices with the triangle and the same status message.

I have tried 2 different wired mice and 2 wireless ones. I also tried different keyboards (wired and wireless), different models from different makers, with exactly the same results. I also tried a USB headset with the same result. I have tried using different USB ports on the laptop.

A USB hard drive, memory stick and webcam all work perfectly.

I have checked for microsoft updates but they are all installed.

I don't know what else to check, does anyone have any suggestions?

iget this sometimes if i nudge the cable the mouse stops working. my cure is to shut down completely, leave it for 15 minutes- plug the mouse in and start up again. i dont guarentee that this will work for you but it does for me.

i have a laptop doing this. perhaps it's windows 10.

Tried everything, eventually had no choice but to reset Windows 10, which was quicker and easier than I was expecting. Working fine now.

Somebody on another forum had the same issue and narrowed it down to a february 13th update

KB4074588

this is how they fixed it

Fixed it. Burned a Dart10 uefi disk, booted with it, used Dart's recovery tools, hotfix uninstaller, got rid of February rollup update and all other February updates it could find. Problem solved.

LOL

There's also a chance that the update won't install at all due to an incompatibility with your antivirus software. Microsoft recommends you speak to your antivirus software vendor if this happens.

NO!

Micro$haft should stop releasing faulty updates, surely they check em before release? Oo