The Gambia anyone been recently ?

Any one been to The Gambia recently and if so what's it like ?

Not since about 2001..

Not sure if the following still apply but:

- Don't drink the water.

- Be aware of bottled water with broken seals.

- Be very very aware of being scammed; the baby milk scam is famous. You can be sure that any local who wants to talk to you is trying to scam you or sell you something or both.

- If you want to go out and about, do it in a group with a tour guide arranged by the hotel. Do not go out of your hotel on your own if you value your belongings and your life. On the flipside, don't stay in the hotel all the time, you are missing the point of going to Gambia.

- It's hot. Very very hot.

- Only go in green taxis, not red ones.

- Food and drink is cheap.

- It might be different now but the malaria medication is awful and makes you feel sick.

- You can buy bananas and cashews fresh from the tree.

- If your hotel does a trip to see the dawn chorus at the big nature reserve, do it. It's amazing.

- Tip your hotel cleaners, bar staff and especially your tour guide. Our loose change is their weekly and monthly wage.

- Take pens to give out to kids in the street, they will run up to you and ask 'any pen?' as they still write with chalk and slate in schools.

cashews fresh from the tree..

........ are poisonous.

Any one been to The Gambia recently and if so what's it like ?

Can't imagine many wanting to do to be honest. Or am I missing something. There must be safer places to visit.

Angel1.

It was ok in the late 90s. Times change I suppose but I don't see why the people should be any different now.

It was ok in the late 90s. Times change I suppose but I don't see why the people should be any different now.

After twenty or so years of state repression, last year the country rid itself of the dictatorial former president Yahya Jammeh, so yes, times change.

........ are poisonous.

Only the shell is. They steam them at roadside to open the shells and sell them to passers by.

I'm sure I ate a lot worse than cashews in Gambia.

Thank you to all you that gave your opinions

After twenty or so years of state repression, last year the country rid itself of the dictatorial former president Yahya Jammeh, so yes, times change.

Didn't he also flee on a private jet after stealing untold millions of dollars from the state??

Some things never change.