Now Carpetright and Mothercare..

some have just got too damn big and complicated.

Very true. The worst thing the big supermarkets have done over the last decade or so is to stop concentrating on foods and diversify into other stuff. They have become department stores of a sort at a time when department stores are in decline. At my local ASDA at Manor Top they have a section for newspapers and magazines, one for cards, another for household stuff; buckets, mops, crockery, dishes, paint etc. All this takes up space that could be used for food stock and I doubt any of it is much of a seller profit-wise.

Yes, it’s the internet that’s caused these shops to close, but you can’t blame people who work all week, ordering their stuff online.

Don't forget that both of these stores have websites from where you can purchase their goods.

The real impact of the internet has been to provide easy access to alternatives and access to price/product information and comparison.

It became easy to see that they were too expensive, which was their real downfall.

Everyone raves about how great Aldi is but I don't rate their fresh fruit and veg it's great if used in one or two days same with bread I shop because it's handy but don't know how people who only shop weekly manage with there goods

You may have a point, I myself have been perfectly happy.

Regardless it's a far cry from the dross that morrisons sell. Geez we used to throw away stuff the day after purchasing, I'm not a fussy by any means but even I couldn't stomach the garbage they would pass off as fresh produce.

We haven't been back since we made the switch to Aldi 2yrs ago.

Everyone raves about how great Aldi is but I don't rate their fresh fruit and veg it's great if used in one or two days same with bread I shop because it's handy but don't know how people who only shop weekly manage with there goods

I'm an Aldi and Lidl fan, but I never do a whole weekly shop in either. I like Sainsburys, and I also shop in Asda and Tesco, Morrisons not so much. They're all within a short drive, I'm retired so have the time. My children do their main grocery shops on line, and have them delivered in the evening. A great boon for working parents.

As some businesses decline, so others emerge and expand. Shops like B&M and Home Bargains are always busy! I loved Mothercare in the 70s, but it had little competition back then, and it's never been cheap.

Mothercare in store customer service was shocking when I was a new mum 6 years ago. It was in several of their branches too, really snooty and unhelpful. Put me off going in there altogether. When stuff online is usually a better deal, customer service is one of the things that make people use actual stores.

Yes, it’s the internet that’s caused these shops to close, but you can’t blame people who work all week, ordering their stuff online.

Last time I checked the internet was available for everyone. The internet is not to blame for these businesses failing. These businesses have failed because they have failed to adapt to the new realities of retail. Plus, the sell utter crap in horrible premises. They are a throw back to the 70s and 80s.

I never have any sympathy for businesses that fail. They fail because they are, by definition, bad businesses and bad businesses have no innate right to exist.