Family Tree Help?

Hi All, I have been doing my family tree for about fourteen years. The main names are Reeve, Botterill, Booth. I have got quite a bit of it mapped out but there has always been one or two individuals who are "niggles". One of them is Emma Booth (married name) born Sheffield about 1877. I have got her living with her husband, Henry Booth in the 1901 census, then she appears to leave him to live with Thomas Botterill. I know from elders in my family who have now passed on, that this was a scandal, but I would like to find Emma's maiden name. Would anyone be able to tell me how to do this? I have a basic subscription with Ancestry. I can't find any marriage details. Thank you in advance for any help, it is driving me mad.

I have found husband Henry living at the same address in 1911 where married has been crossed out and widowed written above. He states has 2 live children - Emma states she has 3 ! Maybe Frank aged 2 and a half living with Emma Booth and Thomas Botterill is their illegitimate son ?

There is a Henry Booth who married an Emma Sweet in Sheffield April Q 1895 9c 762

Edited by Daven

Hi All, I have been doing my family tree for about fourteen years. The main names are Reeve, Botterill, Booth. I have got quite a bit of it mapped out but there has always been one or two individuals who are "niggles". One of them is Emma Booth (married name) born Sheffield about 1877. I have got her living with her husband, Henry Booth in the 1901 census, then she appears to leave him to live with Thomas Botterill. I know from elders in my family who have now passed on, that this was a scandal, but I would like to find Emma's maiden name. Would anyone be able to tell me how to do this? I have a basic subscription with Ancestry. I can't find any marriage details. Thank you in advance for any help, it is driving me mad.

FreeBMD shows two possible marriages but, as one is 1892, she would be a bit young if she was born in 1877!

Henry Booth might have married Emma Jane Crooks in Sheffield in Sep Q 1892

Henry Booth might have married Emma Sweet in Sheffield in Jun Q 1895

Surely the marriage record is on Ancestry (but I don't have a subscription).

Hope this helps.

you could allways get a copy of the childrens birth certs that has the mothers maiden name on

Possible FreeBMD

Births Jun 1877

SWEET Emma Plant Sheffield 9c 415

Marriages Jun 1895

Booth Henry Sheffield 9c 762

Sweet Emma Sheffield 9c 762

Marriages Dec 1876

Sweet William Plant Sheffield 9c 509 Scan available - click to view

WHITE Ann Elizabeth Sheffield 9c 509

Edited by retep
wrong marriage

According to 1911 C henry booth was married 15 years before he was widowed , which would put the marriage 1896/1895 ergo Emma Sweet

Thanks all for the help. Frank was I think illegitimate. He was my moms dad and astonishingly she can't give me any real details (she is still with us) because as children they were not allowed to ask this sort of question as the situation was seen as an embarrassment. I saw that Henry stated himself as widowed, but he wasn't, Emma had left with their two children Elsie and Gladys to live with Thomas Botterill who she has Frank with. I just couldn't find a maiden name for Emma, her children have the surnames Booth and Botterill-Booth. Thanks again, going to try the Sweet and Crooks surnames now!

Sheffield Parish Church (Cathedral), Marriage 5 June 1895.

Henry Booth, 21yrs, Batch., Razor grinder of 16 Regent St. Father Henry Booth, razor grinder.

Emma Sweet, 18yrs, Spin, Silver burnisher of 128 Matilda St. Father William Sweet, file cutter.

1939 Register.

136 Ridgehill Avenue, Sheffield.

Emma Botterill, D.O.B. 7 Mar 1877. Widow. Mixed drapery shop.

Frank Botterill, D.O.B. 24 Nov 1909. Married. General dealer.

Winifred Booth/Botterill?. D.O.B. 25 July 1912. Unpaid domestic duties.

One record officially closed.

Moira.

That is fantastic thank you, MoiraHyde. I am thrilled to get this sorted at long last. Sweet is indeed the maiden name that I was looking for. Winnie B. Booth is my grandmother she died in 1972 and was married to Frank B.Booth, he died in 1962. I would like to know if Emma Booth and Thomas Botterill were ever really/officially married. What does a record being officially closed mean?

Thanks everyone this progress has made my day!!!

That is fantastic thank you, MoiraHyde. I am thrilled to get this sorted at long last. Sweet is indeed the maiden name that I was looking for. Winnie B. Booth is my grandmother she died in 1972 and was married to Frank B.Booth, he died in 1962. I would like to know if Emma Booth and Thomas Botterill were ever really/officially married. What does a record being officially closed mean?

Thanks everyone this progress has made my day!!!

Do you mean "officially closed" on the 1911 census? If so, I think it is because they try to avoid releasing information about living people. They work on a fixed date of birth as being the cut-off but, if you can prove the person has died, then they will open that record.

As above, but just to say that 'officially closed' on the 1939 register does mean that it contained details of a person then young enough to be deemed possibly still alive now. The 1939 register is very useful though.

As above, but just to say that 'officially closed' on the 1939 register does mean that it contained details of a person then young enough to be deemed possibly still alive now. The 1939 register is very useful though.

Thanks "Nanoffive" - I think I was thinking of 1939 when I put 1911.