Why are Leeds disliked by other football clubs?

Question in my mind is can both Sheffield clubs get to the Premier league and stay there ? Is the fan base large enough for the two and can both clubs draw the finance that is necessary to be successful.

Well then you get into the murky waters of club funding and it's really hard to say.

Both clubs can pack out a stadium for a big match so I'd say the local support is there.

Both stadium's are about average size for the Premier League as well.

I don't think either have a bearing on how a club performs in their first season, it's usually down to having the right manager, the right tactics and the right players.

Middlesboro are a good example, they came up last season, spend over 20 million in the transfer window and got totally smashed.

Well then you get into the murky waters of club funding and it's really hard to say.

Both clubs can pack out a stadium for a big match so I'd say the local support is there.

Both stadium's are about average size for the Premier League as well.

I don't think either have a bearing on how a club performs in their first season, it's usually down to having the right manager, the right tactics and the right players.

Middlesboro are a good example, they came up last season, spend over 20 million in the transfer window and got totally smashed.

Yes Boro are a good example of how not to behave in the Premier. Perhaps part of their player problem is that they bought three of them from a crap and relegated Aston Villa and the Owls have two more of them.

Yes Boro are a good example of how not to behave in the Premier. Perhaps part of their player problem is that they bought three of them from a crap and relegated Aston Villa and the Owls have two more of them.

Oi, less of the Villa bashing you! :hihi:

Boro are exactly the same as Wednesday, even mi Boro mates round here said it, niether score enough goals, we have recently, but it does tend to dry up.

If one game sums up why a lot of people hate Leeds it has to be the FA Cup game against Colchester United

Colchester had the audacity to go 2-0 up, Leeds pulled one back but then Colchester made it 3-1.

After that the sheer brutality of the Leeds players was awful, they kicked anything that moved, horrible cynical fouls, sly digs, they just couldn't handle that little Colchester were going to beat them, but they did 3-2 in the end:hihi:

Leeds United a nothing club, one famous quote I remember was from Gordon McQueen at the FA Cup Semi final v Man Utd at Hillsborough in 1977

"We were the Yorkshire club, but on all four sides of the ground it was just red and white, one journalist described it as a fried egg surrounded by tomato sauce":blush:

Well another Leeds manager gone, this time it says he resigned and not sacked.

I suppose that it’s better to be hated than ignored in football terms, personally I reserve my hatreds for people/things that are deserved of it.

Its actually a load of rubbish the 'dirty Leeds' thing. it was invented by the London press because Leeds were by far the best footballing team in the Country and they always ruffled the feathersbof the southern press. Bremner, Lorimer, Giles, Gray and the rest ere the best footballers in Britain at that time, Sheffield just didn't like it.  Unfortunately it is very true.

2 minutes ago, BADGERPANTS said:

Its actually a load of rubbish the 'dirty Leeds' thing. it was invented by the London press because Leeds were by far the best footballing team in the Country and they always ruffled the feathersbof the southern press. Bremner, Lorimer, Giles, Gray and the rest ere the best footballers in Britain at that time, Sheffield just didn't like it.  Unfortunately it is very true.

Well I liked it. Used to watch them whenever I could, including the European Cup semi v Cruyff & Neeskens in 1975. As far as I was concerned they represented Yorkshire but that team was already on its way out by then and that’s more or less where my interest ended.

On 05/02/2017 at 17:13, Futures Red said:

Could be wrong but I think it goes back to the seventies - dirty Leeds. Could be wrong though. I never quite understand it.

I think you're right. I vaguely remember Leeds being the bad guys in the 1970s. Along with Millwall.

Mansfield Football Club fans are called 'scabs' for obvious reasons.

There is a lot of unpleasantness associated with football, which is why I'm not a fan of it.

Edited by Mister M

On 15/12/2022 at 18:01, Mister M said:

I think you're right. I vaguely remember Leeds being the bad guys in the 1970s. Along with Millwall.

Mansfield Football Club fans are called 'scabs' for obvious reasons.

There is a lot of unpleasantness associated with football, which is why I'm not a fan of it.

Indeed, I was on a Hillsborough bound Tram last year when Wednesday were playing Millwall at Home, apparently the Millwall fans literally WRECKED the Tram! They were being rowdy and intimidating before! I literally got off the Tram at West St as I felt intimidated/scared.

I'd got my green Lanyard on that says I'm disabled, but at the time the local Plod weren't trained to recognise it! :loopy: :rant: