Windows 10 Privacy Problems/Privacy General

In case you missed these:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

"...The problems start with Microsoft’s ominous privacy policy, which is now included in the Windows 10 end-user license agreement so that it applies to everything you do on a Windows PC, not just online. (Disclosure: I worked for Microsoft in the days of Windows XP.) It uses some scary broad strokes:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.

..."

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2016/01/microsoft_holds_a_copy_of_windows_10_users_drive_encryption_keys_how_scary.html

"...In his Ars Technica piece, Bright details steps to remove your key from OneDrive and back it up locally, but users who are both technically savvy and who care enough to do so should be using Linux rather than plugging hole after hole in the wall Microsoft is attempting to dissolve between your machine and the cloud. (And let’s face it, these users probably aren’t using Microsoft accounts and OneDrive anyway.)

If privacy matters enough that you want to protect your machine and your data from the eyes of the government and the tech industry, you shouldn’t be using Windows 10—or Apple, or Android—in the first place."

And in cotrast:

https://destinationlinux.org/destination-linux-episode-65/

These articles are from 2/3 years ago, any reason why you just decided to post them? I know you're paranoid about everything but this is ancient news.

It's still a perfectly reasonable matter for discussion. I certainly would never use Win 10 for anything purely because of this sort of thing and MSofts attitude to get round it. If I cannot make my laptop secure, and know it's secure then I wont put data on it. With GDPR knocking on the door nobody should be using Win 10 for anything work related.

Obelix - what computer system do you use and do you feel satisfied with the level of privacy?

As for W10, from time to time I go through the settings to tighten things up where I can but still not sure whether it is enough. If I could go back to XP or W7 I would do so. I felt that I had more control, particularly about updates. W10 is too busy for me. I just need a computer for basic needs these days. All these fancy featured such as 3D drawings, writing on the screen etc are of no use to folk like me. Time that Microsoft brought out a greatly simplified version.

As for Linux, Dell and Entroware sell computers with Ubuntu preinstalled. These are perhaps a better option for people who want a simpler computer but don’t want the hassle of installing and finding drivers etc.

Edited by Jomie

These articles are from 2/3 years ago, any reason why you just decided to post them? I know you're paranoid about everything but this is ancient news.

It might be ancient to you and me but non-geek users may be totally unaware.

(Just like Mark Zuckerberg and Analytica!) :D

Obelix - what computer system do you use and do you feel satisfied with the level of privacy?

Windows 7 with Bitlocker. (not 10 as it uploads your password to the cloud - convenient.....)

Or Linux with a LUKS based cryptosystem.