Lodge moor hospital

does anyone remember the renal unit at the lodge moor hospital. i used to dialyse there about 20 years ago and wonder if anyone else on here did and remmbers anything about it. i was only 6 then so can not remember much i am doing a talk on the history of dialysis and could do with some help.

thanks

Try talking to Kath, the sister on the Home dialysis unit at the NGH. She was a sister there. If you dialised at the NGH you must know little Simon, he also dialised at Lodge Moor. It was a very hard regime including building and stripping down your own machine. I dialised at the NGH for several years and was transplanted in Jan. 2001. Never looked back. Kath can be obtained through the NGH Switchboard. Cheers.

Require light shedding on identity, condition, outcome for gent confined to life in 'iron lung' due to polio. Resided in above hospital 60's/70's (think)

Thanks

I know the person you mean. He had a tilt bed. I worked there as a porter during two summer vacations 73 and 74 and he was there then. He wasn't on South ward. I remember seeing him when I was on laundry or bins duties. I think he was in a room of his own and the corridor jutted out into one of the yards. Never knew his surname but I'm sure a full-time worker will know who you mean. I'd be guessing at Trevor or Denis- probably miles out - but he was a 'celeb' of sorts. Seem to think his bed was surrounded by mirrors,

Is it Derek Dalton you are thinking of?

Derek was in an iron lung and was a follower of Rotherham United and as I remember he might have been a patient at Lodge Moor.

No, not in my case, I remember Derek at Millmoor but I'm certain this chap was someone else, although I had thought he was from the Don Valley area.

His name was Dennis Atkins. I was an auxiliary nurse at Lodge Moor 1972-1974. He was originally in a sideroom on South 1 ward in his iron lung but then had a room built specially for him with all sorts of electronic gadgets at the time with a wand attached to the 'lung' which he could touch with his cheek and close curtains, turn on radio/tv. Not sure when he died.

I worked on the dialysis unit at Lodge Moor for 6 months in 1973-74 (before your time) before moving to Scotland. I can't remember too much detail but I know it was really tough for the patients as they were preparing for home dialysis so had to do almost everything for themselves. I remember visiting one of the home patients in the portakabin in his back garden. The nurses did 4 x 12 hour shifts per week and left each evening when the final patient had gone home. I'm not very helpful I'm afraid.

I worked on the renal transplant unit at the Hallamshire in 1980. I knew some of the staff had worked at lodge moor, but it's a long time ago and I can't recall all their names. I know a couple of staff had worked on the first dialysis unit at the royal hospital and used the old kolff machines (think that's what they were called)- and I remember meeting a few of the original transplant patients.

Although the transplants didn't work for everyone it was very rewarding seeing what a difference it made to people's lives.

I'm sure you might find lots of info on the net- good luck with your talk.

I remember Dennis Atkins well. He was inspirational. I was privileged to go out with him in his van on trips to Blackpool lights, Macclesfield and other locations. He had two young drivers, Craig and James, both volunteers who drove him places. He used to write letters using a possum. He made the most of life. He died in 1979, I think.

Require light shedding on identity, condition, outcome for gent confined to life in 'iron lung' due to polio. Resided in above hospital 60's/70's (think)

Thanks

I remember The Sheffield Star,doing a 2 page spread on this guy you are talking about, as for the year I am not sure,but I should imagine you could get a copy from the Star Shop,hope it helps out

I seem to recall this chap being spoken about in the shop,I used to serve and wait on tables when my mum had lodge moor shop/cafe opposite the main entrance,we left there in 1973.