Do You Need The BBC?

If you had a choice to not have access to the BBC for not buying TV license would you choose it?

With current technology its possible for broadcasters to scramble channels that you do not pay for. Sky TV do it and its possible to do it on freeview too.

Im not overly keen on BBC content but if its there i will see whats on. But if i had all the Sky movies & Sports channels i would look at those too. But as i dont pay for them i dont really miss them.

Would you miss the BBC if you didnt want to pay the license fee?

Isnt it time that this option was looked at.

There is no valid argument against the BBC becoming self funded , either by becoming subscription channels OR becoming commercial channels.

I use BBC content daily, from radio 4, radio 2, BBC news, BBC website etc. The licence fee is a bargain compared to what sky/Virgin offer.

I think that making the BBC pay per view across the board would be fair, but until they digitise radio then the BBC would still be providing free radio, or we'd need a radio licence again.

My concern is also that children might miss out on educational content because the parents don't want to pay for the BBC. My first option to change would be to make the over 75s pay a fee.

If you had a choice to not have access to the BBC for not buying TV license would you choose it?

With current technology its possible for broadcasters to scramble channels that you do not pay for. Sky TV do it and its possible to do it on freeview too.

Im not overly keen on BBC content but if its there i will see whats on. But if i had all the Sky movies & Sports channels i would look at those too. But as i dont pay for them i dont really miss them.

Would you miss the BBC if you didnt want to pay the license fee?

Isnt it time that this option was looked at.

Do I need the BBC ? Yes !

I watch very little BBC tv but listen to radio 2, 4, 5, 4 extra and 5live sports extra. Anyone who has had a long journey with nothing but commercial stations to hand will value the BBC a lot! The website is very good as well.

I like the BBC especially the radio and the website. They are relooking at the licence fee and they may well scrap if after the next renewal.

No licence fee would probably mean less money for the BBC, which would mean make commercial content or die. Some people like education non reality stuff.

The TV licence is 40p a day, surely a bargain?

The TV licence is 40p a day, surely a bargain?

Not really a bargain if you dont use it. I dont watch soaps, strictly, bake off, poldark.....i dont watch any of that stuff.

The only BBC content i really watch is on Gold....and i pay Sky for that.

If i lost all BBC channel tomorrow i wouldnt be bothered and i think that we should be given the choice.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

Not really a bargain if you dont use it. I dont watch soaps, strictly, bake off, poldark.....i dont watch any of that stuff.

If i lost all BBC channel tomorrow i wouldnt be bothered and i think that we should be given the choice.

Poor you. You will have to wait till after the next charter when it will be discussed. Without terrestrial TV as competition, then Sky would really raise the prices as they would have a monopoly. You arent just talking about BBC but all terrestrial TV because they depend on each other. Anyway carry on with your protest, write to your MP and good luck with the outrage.

I struggle to believe people who claim they don't "really" use the BBC content. What about radio, and web based services. If you genuinely don't use that content then you are very much in the minority. For the breadth and depth of content, the BBC is unrivalled and tremendous value. There are a lot of things the BBC could improve, but given its remit seems to be to please all the people all the time it does a remarkable job. No other broadcaster has the same pressure.

I watch Breakfast TV on BBC and a bit of news occasioanlly.

'cos i hate the celebrity wishy washy stuff on the other channels.

Some dramas perhaps occasionally over the year.

Now excluding the tv and radio content what would the impact be on the industry itself if the BBC was lost, production crews,staff,journos.

All my TV viewing is streamed so i don't pay for the TV license. Haven't done for a few years now.