Fosters coaches dinnington

Doe's anyone remember fosters coaches from dinnington. I lived in dinnington before moving away, i remember day trips in the 1950's 60's to bridlington, scarborough, a yorkshire coast excursion which also took in whitby and a sunday half day to cleethorpes. The coaches were painted red and cream and the sun always seemed to shine!!

Doe's anyone remember fosters coaches from dinnington. I lived in dinnington before moving away, i remember day trips in the 1950's 60's to bridlington, scarborough, a yorkshire coast excursion which also took in whitby and a sunday half day to cleethorpes. The coaches were painted red and cream and the sun always seemed to shine!!

Hi stuartw,

My wife's great grandfather started the company in around 1912 and it remained in the family until it closed in the 1970s.

I'm sure Dawn will be delighted to respond to your post when I make her aware of it later today.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Stuart, it is so nice to see someone remembering Fosters Coaches as this was our family business. It was started by my great grandfather back in 1911 and was carried on by 3 generations, until 1972 when, sadly it closed.

In the 1960s, when I was growing up, my Dad drove the excursion coaches you remember, on Sundays ... This is how we got all of our holidays ... It was great as a small child, knowing that every weekend and 2 or 3 times a week in the summer holidays, we would be going to the seaside!

At this time my Grandfather, Doug Foster was running the company. My Dad did not work there all of the time at that stage, he only helped out when they had lots of trips on! My Dad and his brother took over the running in 1970 when grandad became ill.

Besides seaside day trips, they also ran evening mystery tours (usually on a Thursday) which would always end up at a local hostelry for a pint!

Fosters also had school bus contracts to Dinnington Comp ... Did you, by any chance, catch these buses to school?

In the 1930s, 40s and 50s they also had 'works run' contracts to take workers to and from the steel works at Templeborough.

I'll dig out a couple of family pics of the buses for you and post them for you to see.

Do share more of your memories of the trips you took.

Hello dawn, thankyou so much for sharing your memories offthe family business. As i said in my first post the lasting memories of fosters are quite vivid, as our family always had a day trip to the seaside on high days and holidays calling in on our way back at a pub for pop and crisps!! Was your grandfather stan? I do remember he was a tall slim man. I think ther was also a double decker which was used for schools, was it also used for carrying football supporters to millmoor rotherham? You make me a very happy man by posting some photos you may have, they are lovely memories and i'm so pleased that you have brought me up to date

Hello dawn, thankyou so much for sharing your memories offthe family business. As i said in my first post the lasting memories of fosters are quite vivid, as our family always had a day trip to the seaside on high days and holidays calling in on our way back at a pub for pop and crisps!! Was your grandfather stan? I do remember he was a tall slim man. I think ther was also a double decker which was used for schools, was it also used for carrying football supporters to millmoor rotherham? You make me a very happy man by posting some photos you may have, they are lovely memories and i'm so pleased that you have brought me up to date

Hello StuartW. My grandfather was Douglas - known as Doug. Stan was his older Brother, and yes he was a tall, slim man, but Grandad was shorter and more rotund! There was also a Sister, Shelia... as children they lived on Swinstons Hill Road, but once Grandad got married he lived on the main street in Dinnington - No. 11, on the corner of Barley Croft Lane (it has been a Hairdressers since the early 1980s). My sister and I, Mum and Dad (Gordon) spent every Easter Sunday and Boxing Day there when we were young.

The double decker you mention is the one in hillsbro's pic (FEV) ... when my Dad was running the business we used to take this to the Rotherham Tattoo every year and enter it in the Vintage Commercial Vehicle display - and take it on the vintage vehicle run around Rotherham. A few years ago PeterR (my husband) contacted DVLA to find out if it is still in existance - and it is ... not running, but awaiting restoration by a private individual. It is a dream of mine (if I win the lottery) to buy it back and place it in the South Yorkshire Transport Museum, along with suficient funds for them to fully restore it to running order ... and of course, have it painted in the Foster colours!

I have found out a couple of pics ... need to get them onto photobucket so they are publically visible ... will post them later this evening for you.

---------- Post added 20-07-2015 at 18:16 ----------

Hi hillsbro

Thank you so much for googling and finding the pics of Fosters Coaches. I dont have either of them in my family archive so I am so thrilled to see them.

Even more amazing ... the man driving FEV is my Dad!! Dad sadly died in 1986 (he was just 49 years old) and I have only 2 pictures of him ... so this is a real treasure ... thank you so very much for taking the time to search them out.

The pic will have been taken after my grandad, Douglas Foster died (May/June 1970) .. I know this because the 'Sir Douglas' name on FEV was painted onto this, is favourite bus, in his memory... and as a way of carrying on a family tradition which was started by my great-grandfather, when he named earlier buses after each of his children - Douglas, Stan, Sheila ... I will post a pic of the earlier 'Sir Douglas' for you to see, later this evening.

Hi Stuart, it is so nice to see someone remembering Fosters Coaches as this was our family business. It was started by my great grandfather back in 1911 and was carried on by 3 generations, until 1972 when, sadly it closed.

In the 1960s, when I was growing up, my Dad drove the excursion coaches you remember, on Sundays ... This is how we got all of our holidays ... It was great as a small child, knowing that every weekend and 2 or 3 times a week in the summer holidays, we would be going to the seaside!

At this time my Grandfather, Doug Foster was running the company. My Dad did not work there all of the time at that stage, he only helped out when they had lots of trips on! My Dad and his brother took over the running in 1970 when grandad became ill.

Besides seaside day trips, they also ran evening mystery tours (usually on a Thursday) which would always end up at a local hostelry for a pint!

Fosters also had school bus contracts to Dinnington Comp ... Did you, by any chance, catch these buses to school?

In the 1930s, 40s and 50s they also had 'works run' contracts to take workers to and from the steel works at Templeborough.

I'll dig out a couple of family pics of the buses for you and post them for you to see.

Do share more of your memories of the trips you took.

A cousin and 3 pals of mine went to Dinnington Tech. in the late 50's early60's and were picked up by coaches, we were in the Catcliffe/ Brinsworth area. Also my mum went to that school in the late 30's, wonder if your company had that contract.

Hi DawnHelen - I'm so glad to hear that the photos are interesting. The double-decker with your dad at the wheel was photographed at Guiseley in 1975 - here is a link. I also found this photo..:)

A cousin and 3 pals of mine went to Dinnington Tech. in the late 50's early60's and were picked up by coaches, we were in the Catcliffe/ Brinsworth area. Also my mum went to that school in the late 30's, wonder if your company had that contract.

Hi Torontony,

It is very likely that it was a Fosters coach that picked them all up. The business was at its height in the 1950s, with 22 vehicles operating many contracts alongside the day trips.

I intend posting up pics (I am a new forum user and have to wait until I have posted 5 times before I can include web links etc) so I will see if I can find one from the 30s and 50s for you.

Seem to remember them can definitely recall Wigmores though and that conductress Iris she scared us to bits LOL

Seem to remember them can definitely recall Wigmores though and that conductress Iris she scared us to bits LOL

Hi banycock,

Wigmores coaches operated from next door to us, Fosters coaches, on Launghton Road, Dinnington and I recall them well from the 70s. I also recall Iris ... She was a bit of a legend even then.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 23:46 ----------

Can I just say a big thank you to Stuartw for starting this thread as it has led to me finding out lots of information about my family history... Just shows what a simple question can achieve!

If anyone else out there has memories and pics, please do join in and help me build up my family archive even further.

Hi banycock,

Wigmores coaches operated from next door to us, Fosters coaches, on Launghton Road, Dinnington and I recall them well from the 70s. I also recall Iris ... She was a bit of a legend even then.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 23:46 ----------

Can I just say a big thank you to Stuartw for starting this thread as it has led to me finding out lots of information about my family history... Just shows what a simple question can achieve!

If anyone else out there has memories and pics, please do join in and help me build up my family archive even further.

Well my family came off Doe Quarry and God it was rough can you remember Joe's sweet shop about half way up the main road opossit school and that barbour s in front room everyone had same hair cut even women !