The EU and the Irish Border.

A recipe for a repeat of 1922 when the Parliament of Northern Ireland withdrew from the Irish Free State, their mandate:

the fear of economic decline

domination by the much poorer but larger south

a majority in the Northern Home Rule parliamentary

the 100 000 strong Ulster Volunteers

a weak and split UK government

Result:

70 years of mistrust leading to Institutional sectarianism and violence and response

70 years of economic decline in the north and painfully slow growth in the South

70 years of huge bills for the UK taxpayer

huge losses to British banks, institutions and individuals as the value of their investments in whole of Ireland collapsed.

The very loud view of "let them stew" expressed by a single issue minority has no support by the political right, left, centre, nationalist or unionist and is purely a device to avoid reality.

A very dangerous device.

And not forgetting hundreds of lives lost, and thousands of lives ruined both in Ireland and Britain in the violence that followed.

why are they?

and what happens when something illegal to sell in the eu becomes legal to sell in the uk, an example which springs to mind is american chlorine washed chicken.

does that mean all chicken exports from the uk to the eu have to stop?

What you are referring to there are criminals. The same type of criminals as the European mainland abattoirs and dealers who flooded the EU with horsemeat masquerading as beef and coincidentally detected by Irish and UK food standards.

There will always be criminals. There are more criminals in the EU 27 than the UK.

A recipe for a repeat of 1922 when the Parliament of Northern Ireland withdrew from the Irish Free State, their mandate:

the fear of economic decline

domination by the much poorer but larger south

a majority in the Northern Home Rule parliamentary

the 100 000 strong Ulster Volunteers

a weak and split UK government

Result:

70 years of mistrust leading to Institutional sectarianism and violence and response

70 years of economic decline in the north and painfully slow growth in the South

70 years of huge bills for the UK taxpayer

huge losses to British banks, institutions and individuals as the value of their investments in whole of Ireland collapsed.

The very loud view of "let them stew" expressed by a single issue minority has no support by the political right, left, centre, nationalist or unionist and is purely a device to avoid reality.

A very dangerous device.

I just don't see it. Northern Ireland remaining in the customs union could make it the place to be within the United Kingdom

Business, inparticular banking, will see Belfast as a back door to free trade with the EU.

Both the north and south could become very prosperos out of this..

Are you telling me that the Irish people will sacrifice all that.

The only people that will destroy Ireland are the Irish.

And not forgetting hundreds of lives lost, and thousands of lives ruined both in Ireland and Britain in the violence that followed.

John Major and Tony Blair held a joint news conference before the EU referendum vote informing the electorate of the facts you mention. The Irish border should not be used as a smokescreen to prevent the democratic wishes of the people being carried out.

What you are referring to there are criminals. The same type of criminals as the European mainland abattoirs and dealers who flooded the EU with horsemeat masquerading as beef and coincidentally detected by Irish and UK food standards.

There will always be criminals. There are more criminals in the EU 27 than the UK.

You've got that the wrong way round.

American chlorine washed chicken is legal in many countries.

Import into the UK as part of the EU is forbidden.

A trade deal with the US might include us importing chlorine washed chicken.

UK producers will cite this as unfair competition and rightly demand equal treatment(sic).

Outcomes:

an inferior product for UK consumers

export restriction or ban or extra costs for UK chicken producers.

EU mistrust of UK agricultural products

Fear based on erroneous statements

...criminals... criminals...European...flooded... EU... horsemeat masquerading as beef....

There are more criminals in the EU 27 than the UK Blindingly obvious, now what statistic can we dig up about criminality and trustworthiness in the USA, Russia and China and the other 103 countries you say we have no problem trading with?

---------- Post added 24-05-2018 at 09:38 ----------

I just don't see it. Northern Ireland remaining in the customs union could make it the place to be within the United Kingdom

Business, inparticular banking, will see Belfast as a back door to free trade with the EU.

Both the north and south could become very prosperos out of this..

Are you telling me that the Irish people will sacrifice all that.

The only people that will destroy Ireland are the Irish.

So the great banking centre of Belfast will invest heavily in its offshore territories formerly known as Britain.

Ludicrous. Too many "could"s.

You've got that the wrong way round.

No I do not.

If it is illegal to import into the EU then it is a crimnal offence committed by a criminal. There are existing criminal agencies to deal with that. The horsemeat scandal just underlines what a bullcrap argument the chlorinated chicken border crossing potential is.

That aside, I don't see 350 million Americans dropping dead and they eat a LOT of chicken. I'm all for chlorine washed chicken if it makes meat available at it half the price for UK buyers who can't afford to buy chicken with the bird's name and life story on the ethically sourced organic hamp based packaging.

The fuss around chlorine washed chicken is like fracking - there are far too many fact and science free opinions at large.

BREAKING NEWS...The water in your tap already has chlorine in it..... The gas in your pipes already came from fracking... The moon isn't made of cheese...

:)

No I do not.

If it is illegal to import into the EU then it is a crimnal offence committed by a criminal. There are existing criminal agencies to deal with that. The horsemeat scandal just underlines what a bullcrap argument the chlorinated chicken border crossing potential is.

That aside, I don't see 350 million Americans dropping dead and they eat a LOT of chicken. I'm all for chlorine washed chicken if it makes meat available at it half the price for UK buyers who can't afford to buy chicken with the bird's name and life story on the ethically sourced organic hamp based packaging.

The fuss around chlorine washed chicken is like fracking - there are far too many fact and science free opinions at large.

BREAKING NEWS...The water in your tap already has chlorine in it..... The gas in your pipes already came from fracking... The moon isn't made of cheese...

:)

andyofborg asked the question giving an American PRT chicken as an example

and what happens when something illegal to sell in the eu becomes legal to sell in the uk, an example which springs to mind is american chlorine washed chicken. does that mean all chicken exports from the uk to the eu have to stop?

There is nothing illegal going on until thousands shoppers become criminals annually when travelling into the Republic with their chicken nuggets from Belfast or Holyhead.

Of course it is not the chicken chlorinated or otherwise that is the issue, it is an example of how weak our position is when we find ourselves trapped between two global economies playing "protectionism".

Breaking news, my tap water contains one of the four PRTs the Americans are asking to be legalized in the UK.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

I find myself agreeing with you about global protectionism but since I believe that industrial protectionism is something to be eradicated I can't agree that the UK has a particularly weak or strong position, it is just what it is, greater or lesser depending on the specifics.

In the same vein, I can't get over excited about chicken sandwiches crossing the border in Ireland when the EU has its eastern land and southern wet borders to police.

Chlorinated American chicken is just another Project Fear rouse to try to overturn the referendum, as is the want of the authoritarian EU. I know next to bugger all about it but even so I tend to initially form a generally negative intellectual opinion about a person if they do get over excited about it. The same goes for fracking. And industrial protectionism.

This is what l don't understand. If the backstop idea is implimented then what's the problem.

It depends on what final deal the uk negotiates.

A hardish brexit which takes us almost totally out of the current regulatory regime essentially puts a hard border down the irish sea which is something unacceptable to the DUP. The alternative is that the UK negotiates a deal which replicates most if not all of the current regulatory regime which is unacceptable to the extreme brexiters.

Should this solution be unacceptable and violence should erupt. Who exactly are the perpetrators going to target?

same as last time, innocent people in northern ireland and the mainland uk,

you should bear in mind that terrorist groups tend to copy each others tactics so i'd imagine the main targets would rapidly become the softer targets with a high number of innocent casualties.

these people may be 20 years older, but they were pretty well trained and some skills you don't loose and they are probably not of a mind to go up with their first creation.

---------- Post added 24-05-2018 at 20:03 ----------

What you are referring to there are criminals.

no i'm not, perhaps it was a poor example but it's one which has been in the media a lot.

ultimately, the further we move from the current regulatory regime the harder the border has to be.

The North of Ireland voted to stay in the E.U and they can do that by uniting with the South .

It is the easy solution for both sides and makes sense .

The North of Ireland voted to stay in the E.U and they can do that by uniting with the South .

It is the easy solution for both sides and makes sense .

The appetite for unification is only about one in five. It's a non discussion, and if it ever becomes one there's the Belfast Agreement.

The appetite for unification is only about one in five. It's a non discussion, and if it ever becomes one there's the Belfast Agreement.

One in five of which part North or South.