Freedom Of Speech.

so

a student is found guilty of racial harassment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-44238308

Is it right he stood outside the door of black female student and shouted "shocking, disgusting, appalling and disgraceful" things?

Is it freedom of speech?

Is she a snowflake and should just let things lie?

Is he a racist ******* that deserves a slap?

Should people be able to live their lives in society without the threat of random strangers finding something to "have a go" at them for, in effect bully them, including in their own homes.

so

a student is found guilty of racial harassment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-44238308

Is it right he stood outside the door of black female student and shouted "shocking, disgusting, appalling and disgraceful" things?

No.

Is it freedom of speech?

No. As the judgement stated it is racial harassment.

Is she a snowflake and should just let things lie?

No.

Is he a racist ******* that deserves a slap?

Yes and no.

Should people be able to live their lives in society without the threat of random strangers finding something to "have a go" at them for, in effect bully them, including in their own homes.

Yes but it seems that does not apply when it comes to all thing Brexit as the Brexit thread shows.

Harassment isn't freedom of speech. The law has always been very clear on this and context is everything.

Harassment isn't freedom of speech. The law has always been very clear on this and context is everything.

some people think you can say anything you want, wherever you are

some people think you can say anything you want, wherever you are

I don't know anyone like that who isn't either mentally ill or subnormal, so who did you specifically have in mind?

I don't know anyone like that who isn't either mentally ill or subnormal, so who did you specifically have in mind?

Its been banged on quite frequently on here over the years, normally by people of a right wing state of mind

Not Ok to use that word these days. Learning disabled is much less perjorative.

Its been banged on quite frequently on here over the years, normally by people of a right wing state of mind

And by left-wing 'unlimited freedom of speech' [as long as one agrees with them, of course] campaigners, too.

Can you give us a few examples of this frequent banging on so we can decide if mental illness or subnormality is involved, or if what you say is even true? I don't recall any off hand.

Can you give us a few examples of this frequent banging on so we can decide if mental illness or subnormality is involved, or if what you say is even true? I don't recall any off hand.

Learning disability. People with learning disabilities and their advocates really dislike the term subnormal - and most people stopped using it around 30 years ago.

For me it's not so much what is said, but how it is said.

Generally speaking, the contributors to this forum are sensible enough to discuss 'sensitive matters' in a manner which usually isn't grossly offensive. Whether or not that's because there is a moderating team who ensure this I don't know.

Over the last 30 years the rise people's care over how they should use language is welcome, partly because it forces people to think about what they say. Some people dismiss these concerns as 'political correctness', but what is deemed to be politically correct is a subjective decision anyway.

I'll bear it in mind.

---------- Post added 24-05-2018 at 20:43 ----------

There seems to be some confusion between political correctness and ideas.

Ideas should most definitely NOT be suppressed, no matter how distasteful or inconvenient some people may find them. I'd say that the more distasteful or inconvenient an idea is, the more it should be discussed.