Memories/war stories from Treeton area

Hi! I just wondered whether anyone had any war stories from the Treeton area, or any memories they could share about anything really, in particular Wood Lane at Treeton. I know there was an Italian POW camp up on the hill near the woods. My local history had always interested me, so any contributions would be lovely. Thank you!

Thanks bracken. I've been on Treetonweb and read all the stories on there; I'm really interested in hearing more though. I walk past the reading rooms every day and its never once occured to me to ask in there so thanks! In the meantime, if anyone has anything to share please feel free :-)

Anybody know what happened to the treetonweb site?

It seems to be no longer accessible.

It is a shame it had a lot of my family history on there.

Here is a war story linked to the good people of Treeton.:thumbsup:

My mother, aunty and gran were bombed out of their house on City road. (there is still a gap where the house was)

As they sorted themselves out on the road a lorry carrying some miners stopped to help them.

It was decided that the miners would give up their ride for them and they were taken to Treeton where a family put them up for (I don’t know how long).

My Gran was an auxiliary at The Sheffield Infirmary where she walked to and from each day.

I think the family that put them up was called Rutherford.:clap:

Anybody know what happened to the treetonweb site?

It seems to be no longer accessible.

It is a shame it had a lot of my family history on there.

Sadly, my sister, who developed and ran the website, passed away last Christmas.

My auntie Joan Waddams and her husband Arthur took in an Italian prisoner of war at their house on Washfield Lane. Have you been in the Reading Room yet? There is also a Treeton History Group that meet there. Details are in the Parish Council magazine.

Edited by classicfan

Sadly, my sister, who developed and ran the website, passed away last Christmas.

Cloudforest,

So sorry to hear about your sister. She was most helpful and dedicated and I also had a feature in the site about a reunion I held. I loved her genealogy research espcially

Is there anyway, someone else from Treeton History Group or otherwise take it over / resurrect it?

If you have access to any photographs you can upload onto a Facebook group in an album or whatever.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/255219718342517/?ref=group_header

Many thanks