USB floppy drive and windows 10

i am using a A500+.

looks like i will just have to forget the idea. don't really need the software anymore. the problem was i was trying to run worms on my 500+ which already has 1MB RAM as standard. the game would load up and let me select teams. but as soon as i tried to start the game, it would go to a black screen then flash software failure and give me error codes.

everyone on the amiga pages tried saying i have bad memory but i didn't think it was that at all. i thought it was lack of it. the game box says it will play on 1MB and said 2MB but not required.

anyway so i ordered 2 brand new 512k RAM chips from amigakit.com. they have a pass through port allowing you to attach 2 512K chips together for use on A500+ machines to make it have a total of 2MB ram.

i installed the ram and confirmed in workbench that i have 2MB ram and booted worms and it worked straight away. so proved 1MB wasn't enough even though they say it is.

i will just use my new blank disks to make backups of my new games i have just purchased which are road rash and gunship 2000 :)

thanks for all the help, tips and tricks guys. most helpful :thumbsup:

You should be able to put in a standard 2DD floppy in the PC, and format it to 720KB

Yes, you "should", but like I said several posts ago:

Formatting a 720K floppy disk over USB fails with Windows 10

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/5733/formatting-a-720k-floppy-disk-over-usb-fails-with-windows-10

But you thought otherwise:

Honestly the OP os trying to read an amiga disk on the pc...

The OP needs to see if he can format the disk under Linux.

If he can't, then the problem is with the USB floppy drive.

If he can, then the problem is with Windows 10.

Until he resolves this he can't move onto the next step.

Yes, you "should", but like I said several posts ago:

Formatting a 720K floppy disk over USB fails with Windows 10

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/5733/formatting-a-720k-floppy-disk-over-usb-fails-with-windows-10

But you thought otherwise:

The OP needs to see if he can format the disk under Linux.

If he can't, then the problem is with the USB floppy drive.

If he can, then the problem is with Windows 10.

Until he resolves this he can't move onto the next step.

I think you will find the OP has moved on quite a bit since his first request for assistance.

Oh, and on a minor issue, it is GNU/Linux - no GNU, no Linux. ;)

Is It Linux or GNU/Linux?

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/it-linux-or-gnulinux

"The bottom line is that 'Linux' is what the vast majority of people call it. So that's what it should be called, because that's how language works."

Self-professed "ace Linux guru" and Linux writer Carla Schroder said, "I've never called it GNU/Linux. GNU coreutils, tar, make, gcc, wget, bash and so on are still fundamental tools for a lot of Linux users. Certain people can't let any Linux discussion pass without insisting that 'Linux' is only the kernel. Linux distros include a majority of non-GNU software, and I'm fine with 'Linux' as an umbrella term for the whole works. It's simple and it's widely recognized."

I prefer to refer to the horse's mouth:

https://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.en.html

Back in the 1980's Richard Stallman developed an OS called Hurd - the key ingredient missing was a kernel - then along comes Linus Torvalds who had learnt on Minix and then developed the independent kernel from any other form of *nix and so GNU/Linux was born - no GNU no Linux. Let's not get lazy like the certain speakers of the English language who can't be bothered to spell correctly. Whenever I post on the Zorin Forum I make a point EVERY time that it is GNU/Linux. :D

My current favourite saying is "There is no eff'in(') sulphate!" :hihi:

(Just like there is no 'F' in 'Cod' :hihi:)

As a follow up I checked my USB floppy drive and can confirm that it seems to be a bit of a hack. It ALWAYS presents itself as "2880 512-byte logical blocks: (1.47 MB/1.41 MiB)" BEFORE you even put a floppy in.

So it seems most are just simulating a mass storage device of the exact size of a PC HD floppy disk, making them indeed incompatible with DD floppies. Its basically pretending they are a USB memory stick which is interesting as it probably means you can even access them from your phone.

Forgot to mention i burnt a copy of linux and it would not format on that either. Probs downt to being exactly what it is, a cheapo £8 paper weight.

As I said above, mine on Linux shows as a 1.47MB mass storage device even WITHOUT a floppy in.

Basically the OS hasn't a clue its even a floppy drive.

Its also not particularly fast even by floppy drive standards. I wrote some Windows XP Setup floppies and they clocked in at 9K/s.

What's really frustrating is that the floppy drive in my Amiga is one of the later PC ones that was modified for the Amiga that I believe is actually HD but its somehow not enabled.

Edited by AlexAtkin