Memories of Sheffield libraries

The Queen & Philip came to Sheffield in 1953. There was a gathering of hundreds of Sheffield school kids at the Wednesday ground and a display on the pitch, with the Queen & Philip being driven round the pitch. I was too young to attend that day and some older pals did go to Hillsborough leaving me on my own. Both Mom & Dad were working, so what did Mom do to keep me safe ? She took me to Highfields library where I stayed for the afternoon until she came home and fetched me out.

Does anyone know which was the last library to be built in Sheffield? Was it the one at Crystal Peaks in 1988?

Maybe the replacement library at Ecclesall? I'm not sure of the exact date but it was definitely after 1990 as that's when we moved here.

The replacement library at Woodseats is fairly recent (post 2000).

The new Gleadless Library opened in 2003.

Burngreave library moved from it's original location on Gower Street to Spital Hiil -sorry don't recall the year-and it was shared with another council department but was a new building. The Gower Street premises are still there and became 'a house of worship'. Firth Park library was relocated from Firth Park Road to the corner of Hucklow Road and Stubbin Lane, not sure when.

I lived on Bute street, Crookes and as a toddler in the 1960's, I was introduced to the library at Broomhill. I was a voracious reader and the librarian let me take out extra books each week. I think the maximum was something like 3 or 4, but I was allowed to take double that amount! One year, the library held a painting competition for kids, the subject being 'books that I've read', or something like that. I had just read a book about the Spanish Armada, so I painted Francis Drake playing bowls, with the Spanish ships in the background. To my immense pride, I won first prize and the picture was hung in the library!