Sign in to follow this  

Internet Provider

Hi, can anybody recommend a good internet provider (but not Virgin as it isn't available in some areas)?

Thanks

Michael.

BT here.

Can't honestly remember the last time it went off/failed...might have been when the car ran into the green box a couple of years ago.

I doubt they are the cheapest but I have no complaints about the service, I do enjoy the yearly haggle about price. As with most ISP, they do try it on when renewal comes round.

I don't plug a phone in so can't say about that side of it.

Oh it's Infinity 2 broadband with evening and weekend calls. I get 76/18 from the BB.

Edited by zach
removed the word "free" nothing's ever FREE!

In the past I have been with, BT, EE, Talktalk, Plusnet and now First Utility and the worst of them was Plusnet. Since being on FTTC I have had no dropouts and a constant speed so I think that makes a difference. I Don't have a phone call package either as a mobile is much cheaper.

I heard that Post Office are pretty good but don't know of anybody who has used them.

so who told you they where pretty good?

You can get that user satisfaction info on-line..

Post Office have been good suppliers for us...moved to them from BT

In the past I have been with, BT, EE, Talktalk, Plusnet and now First Utility and the worst of them was Plusnet. Since being on FTTC I have had no dropouts and a constant speed so I think that makes a difference. I Don't have a phone call package either as a mobile is much cheaper.

Odd, had the opposite experience, never had any issues with Plusnet either Fibre or ADSL. Customer service has always been good with getting issues resolved. Only had one when I was on ADSL and then when OpenReach had to sort an issue in the cabinet to do with fibre.

If you're lucky enough, companies like HyperOptic are way better. 150Mbps/150Mbps is about £28/month :)

I did get the info for the Post office online, just wanted to know if anyone had used them. Thank you smithy266 for your input.

If you're lucky enough, companies like HyperOptic are way better. 150Mbps/150Mbps is about £28/month :)

It really depends on whether you actually need a 150/150Mbps connection. For the average user even a 40Mbps connection is over the top.

BTW Plusnet refused to refund an overcharge and a cancellation fee when I cancelled their service. Was told by them on the phone that because of the circumstance there would be no cancellation fee and yet was charged one. It was agreed that it was their mistake and the call centre staff did not understand the requirements (clearly displayed on the T&C) so an apology was all I would get. The manager I spoke to was very abrupt on the matter and said I had no choice but to pay.

Edited by apelike

It really depends on whether you actually need a 150/150Mbps connection. For the average user even a 40Mbps connection is over the top.

For £28/month I really don't care. They also do faster connections, plus the synchronous nature is much better than having a great download speed and a crap upload speed which is the usual case with ADSL/fibre.

For £28/month I really don't care. They also do faster connections, plus the synchronous nature is much better than having a great download speed and a crap upload speed which is the usual case with ADSL/fibre.

I checked after reading your post but it's not in my area. Shame really, I could use a 150/150. The 20 up I get now does well but 150 would have been some nice icing on the cake.