Is my tablet bricked?

It doesn't boot up past the Samsung logo. I took it to a few repair shops and they couldn't do anything about it.

I know phones/tablets get either soft or hard bricked, and the guys at the shop think its the latter. But can corrupt ROMS or software really cause the device to be hard-bricked? How can software somehow damage the hardware?

Thanks.

It can't "damage" the hardware but if the boot rom is corrupted and the machine can't read it then it's borked..

It doesn't boot up past the Samsung logo. I took it to a few repair shops and they couldn't do anything about it.

I know phones/tablets get either soft or hard bricked, and the guys at the shop think its the latter. But can corrupt ROMS or software really cause the device to be hard-bricked? How can software somehow damage the hardware?

Thanks.

Usually you can load a new system/Boot image. Depending how bad it is will reflect on how much work is needed, or if you can get it back at all.

I've never owned a Samsung tablet so can't give you any tips. Have a read on XDA, you should find a more definitive answer on there. Chances are the first answer you see isn't the right one so have a good read before trying anything.

Although not the same system. I got my Sony Tablet 3 compact back from just a logo with a bit of help from XDA so you might be in luck.

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 14:56 ----------

https://forum.xda-developers.com/

My understanding is that when it's hard bricked the bootloader is corrupt and the only way to flash it would be to re-flash the chip that holds the bootloader directly. From what you said, it seems like it is just soft bricked.

Like zach I had a tablet that was stuck at logo and re-installing the firmware fixed it. Everything you need to know should be on the forum zach linked.

does it boot into recovery?

does it boot into recovery?

The only thing I can do is press the power button and hold down the volume key for a few seconds and then it goes into download mode.

I've tried flashing stock ROMS to the tablet but it keeps failing.

And thanks for the rest of the responses.

A guess...

There's no boot on your tablet. It needs a boot in order to load the system and as far as I'm aware, the best way to flash the boot is via adb.

Not sure if you can flash the boot with ODIN as it's years since I last used it. Again, might be worth a quick read.

if you can boot into download try pressing the volume up instead of down. This should get you into recovery where you can hard format the tablet.

The fact you can boot into download is good. It means you can still recover the tablet via Odin with the correct files.