Best real ale pubs in Chesterfield

Yes, I know this section is about going out in Sheffield but I reckon it is the most appropriate.

Me and my OH are going to Chesterfield on Friday ostensibly to visit the quaint old town and have a look at the market but really to have a bit of a pub crawl.

Which are the best pubs for beer and which of those would people recommend for lunch?

Ta

Rutland arms used to be good. Mind you the market used to be good too. That said The Market pub was always solid. Been a while though!

Edited by tinfoilhat

My personal favourites are about the furthest two apart (within the town itself at least)... at the far end, the Chesterfield Alehouse micropub is, as you might expect, basic but comfortable, with a decent range of reasonably priced beers. Nearer the station (if that's how you're getting there!) is the White Swan, Raw pub, about 10 wickets, a dozen keg fonts (mix of craft and macro), and a couple of hundred bottled beers. Not eaten there but heard good things about the food

Rutland arms used to be good. Mind you the market used to be good too. That said The Market pub was always solid. Been a while though!

Went in Market earlier this year,they had Easy Rider on,not cheap though.

Many excellent pubs. There's the Chesterfield Arms, Derby Tup, Rutland Arms, White Swan, Tap House, Rose & Crown, Tramway Tavern, a real ale off licence (Real Ale Corner) and 2 micropubs (Chesterfield Alehouse & The Beer Parlour).

Of these The White Swan is a personal favourite and the one I would suggest for food.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

I also recommend the Ale House on Chatsworth Road. Unfortunately don't go into the town centre much though.

We've done a pub crawl in Chesterfield a few times and really enjoyed it, although the prices do generally seem to be higher than Sheffield.

There used to be a real ale map on the Chesterfield Camra website, but the website seems to have disappeared.

We only like strong real ales, so the pubs that appealed to us were:

Rutland Hotel

White Swan

The Royal Oak

The Market

Chesterfield Ale House (a very small room)

The Portland (Wetherspoons)

Spa Lane Vaults (Wetherspoons)

Regards

Doom

We've done a pub crawl in Chesterfield a few times and really enjoyed it, although the prices do generally seem to be higher than Sheffield.

There used to be a real ale map on the Chesterfield Camra website, but the website seems to have disappeared.

Rutland Hotel

White Swan

The Royal Oak

The Market

Regards

Doom

Looking away from the town centre in Chesterfield, The Tap House (run by Barlow Brewery), The Beer Parlour and Chesterfield Arms should all appeal.

Also quite like the fridge of many wonders at the Tramway Tavern, which is fortunate as I'm not really a fan of Brampton beers!

Thanks for all the replies.

I think after a quick look round the market I can make a decent pub crawl out The Alehouse, The Market, The Royal Oak, The White Swan and then finally The Rutland before staggering back to the train station.

Rutland Hotel

White Swan

The Royal Oak

The Market

Regards

Doom

Yup - all of those are good pubs. But only the White Swan worth venturing out of Sheffield for if you're making a special trip. Funnily enough Pete Brown (the eminient beer blogger and all round stuck-up-his own-orifice guy) managed to go to Chesterfield a few weeks ago and missed all of these apparently - saying it was desolate for good beer. He has since been put right and gone back to apologise.

Yup - all of those are good pubs. But only the White Swan worth venturing out of Sheffield for if you're making a special trip. Funnily enough Pete Brown (the eminient beer blogger and all round stuck-up-his own-orifice guy) managed to go to Chesterfield a few weeks ago and missed all of these apparently - saying it was desolate for good beer. He has since been put right and gone back to apologise.

I'd say the Chesterfield Arms is worth a special trip as well, not to mention a crawl round a few places on the Brampton Mile.

As to Pete Brown, he really is a silly boy isn't he? Managed to walk straight past the White Swan and Rutland Arms in order to write a hit piece about a place that very obviously isn't going to serve any good beer.

I actually managed to see some of his talk at the Thornbridge "Peakender" festival. I lost interest when he claimed that Stella was a good beer 15 years ago. Even back then I always strongly disliked the stuff.

Edited by Stoatwobbler