Recommend me a desktop computer for an OAP.

Hello,

I'm looking for a computer for an elderly relative. They had a Windows XP net top, which has just given up the ghost. So, he already has KB / mouse / monitor. Just need to replace the computer itself.

I'm thinking something net top sized with Windows 10 on it. About 200 quid to spend. Any suggestions? On Amazon?

Lots of options, but from experience windows really struggles on systems with less than 64GB storage space.

Also it's unlikely you'll find something with PS/2 ports for both an old keyboard and an old mouse, so you might need a USB one.

A though Chromebook with USB mouse would be perfect.

Virtually indestructible, doesn't need antivirus, doesn't break, can be restored in seconds and it powers on in an instant.

Doesn't have windows and offline use is limited but Google has it's own versions of office applications and there's also office online now.

Give Aspire Sheffield a call. They recycle corporate/education/etc PCs and resell them. We often send stuff to them.

I obviously can't speak for them (what they have/don't have), but from previous experience, for that budget I'd think you'd comfortably get a fairly decent i5 system.

Give Aspire Sheffield a call. They recycle corporate/education/etc PCs and resell them.

I'll second this having used them previously.

(And it's easy to park there.)

Another vote for Aspire too - we have donated old kit to them from work.

Another vote for Aspire, I've had a laptop and a desktop from them

Hello,

I'm looking for a computer for an elderly relative. They had a Windows XP net top, which has just given up the ghost. So, he already has KB / mouse / monitor. Just need to replace the computer itself.

I'm thinking something net top sized with Windows 10 on it. About 200 quid to spend. Any suggestions? On Amazon?

I bought a Lenovo Thinkcentre off eBay for £40 delivered from a guy/company that buys old business machines, No operating system, 160 HDD/2GB RAM. They are "SFF" such as doctors have. I've upgraded mine to 500 HDD/8GB RAM. They are easy to get into (no screws) I think mine is great, running Win 10.

If you are close to S60 I could put you an OS on it. Ordered before 3pm for next day delivery.

Have a look on Ebay for the HP DC7800.

They're usually well looked after ex-NHS machines. Various specs available, from core 2 duo to core i7.

Just noticed a HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Mini on Gumtree for £150 (i3)

Not sure if this is in your price range but they are really good, very small PC's. I have the i5 version and it's a very capable system. Mine is a tad wasted as a HTPC in the bedroom as can do much more. These have a desktop CPU, not the usual low power CPUs found in most USFF systems.

If you look into it, make sure it's the G2. The G1 had issues with NVME drives. I think all the 800 G2's have WiFi built in but double check that too.

Why do they need a PC/Laptop

Couldn’t they manage with a 12.9 inch iPad which is almost idiot proof, and wireless printers are pretty cheapo if they need to print anything.

Plenty second hand on Cashconverters/generators etc