Brunswick Chapel

Does anyone know whether the Methodist church records stored there were destroyed in the bombing, did any survive?
According to Picture Sheffield it wasn't destroyed by bombing, it was demolished in the mid 50s and was a furniture store or something similar before that.

Probably in preparation for and part of the road building and pedestrianisation of the Moor/South Street Area, when the SCC were hatching the Manpower Services monstrosity plan and the road building schemes of the 60s/70s?

Edited by natjack

It's interesting to know that some of the columns from Brunswick Chapel can still be seen. Another site - see here - suggests that Charles Boot might have wanted the stone to build another folly. There are more photos of the columns etc (scroll down).

Not far away from Brunswick Chapel was St Paul's Church; when this was demolished in the 1930s, some of the stonework was used to build houses at Bents Green.

There is a house at the bottom of Muskoka Drive Bents Green, I'm led to believe the stone used to build it came from St Pauls.

Just a note, the name Muskoka is said to come from a tribe of North American Indians.

What a magnificent building.

Brunswick Chapel was apparently bombed during the war,

Yes it was bombed out in the war,I believe in the blitz but maybe later. Up to then I went to the Sunday School there.That closed down after the bombing :(

On 26/08/2015 at 02:41, natjack said:

According to Picture Sheffield it wasn't destroyed by bombing, it was demolished in the mid 50s and was a furniture store or something similar before that.

Probably in preparation for and part of the road building and pedestrianisation of the Moor/South Street Area, when the SCC were hatching the Manpower Services monstrosity plan and the road building schemes of the 60s/70s?

Picture Sheffield is wrong It was left as an empty shell after the blitz. At the time I went to Sunday School there and had to then go elsewhere.Maybe there was a corner of it that was made into a store but I never saw it.