Spies in our area.

Who remembers the case of the lecturer Gerald Brooke who was brought up in Meersbrook and went to Firth Park Grammar School? He was convicted of spying, held in a Russian jail and exchanged for two Soviet spies? I wonder what happened to him after that?

There was also the case of the Pragers who lived in Rotherham. Both cases were. I think in the 1960s.

I remember reading a newspaper article about a year ago, in which the novelist William Shaw said that Gerald Brooke was still alive and he'd been in touch with him. I think Shaw had written a fictionalised account of the Brooke spy story.

Who remembers the case of the lecturer Gerald Brooke who was brought up in Meersbrook and went to Firth Park Grammar School? He was convicted of spying, held in a Russian jail and exchanged for two Soviet spies? I wonder what happened to him after that?

There was also the case of the Pragers who lived in Rotherham. Both cases were. I think in the 1960s.

Think he lived in Cockayne Place

Next street down (Pearson Place) according to wiki...
Yes, the '1939 Register' shows the Brookes at 66 Pearson Place.

I can remember Boris Haywood our form master who taught Gerald Brooke Russian going down the school corridor to ask Icky Bown the Spanish master if he had heard the news about Gerald Brooke on the day the news broke.

Edited by mickyboy