Understanding the universe.

What on earth is happening?

The properties of a superconductor are 1) zero electitrical resistance, 2) expel external magnetic fields. The upshot of which is

place a superconductor within a magnetic field, the field will be expelled and a electic current will be created in the superconductor.

The electric current creates it own magnetic field which cancels ( or pushes against ) the external field, hence the superconductor

appears to hold positiion from the magnet.

If it is ever posible to make superconductors operate at room temperature, then things will get really exciting.

There was an interesting but not really informative Horizon programme recently:

'How to build a Time-machine'.

But first we have to figure-out the type of universe we live in.

The conventional view is: The only reality is now, the future does not exist, and events in past are just memories.

The Block view is: The past, present and future are all equally real. Thus if we could build a time-machine we could travel

to the past and meet the dinosaurs, or travel into the future and see the effects of the next ice age.

There are variations on the above views but I'm sure you get the idea. Programme on the following link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bb33ht/horizon-2018-3-how-to-build-a-time-machine

The properties of a superconductor are 1) zero electitrical resistance, 2) expel external magnetic fields. The upshot of which is

place a superconductor within a magnetic field, the field will be expelled and a electic current will be created in the superconductor.

The electric current creates it own magnetic field which cancels ( or pushes against ) the external field, hence the superconductor

appears to hold positiion from the magnet.

If it is ever posible to make superconductors operate at room temperature, then things will get really exciting.

"Appears" is an odd choice of word, are you suggesting that it's an illusion and it doesn't really hold it's position?

"Appears" is an odd choice of word, are you suggesting that it's an illusion and it doesn't really hold it's position?

It is not an illusion, I just wanted to give a consise explanation as to what is happening.

Mikes10.

Verb:

come into sight; become visible or noticeable.

I get what you mean.

The magician appears to cut his assistant in half...

A turn of phrase often used to suggest that appearance is not the same as reality.

Cyclone,

There's no, "Abracadabra" ! here.

Going back to Latin appārēre, "to come into sight, be visible, be evident".

A current flows in a conduct and a magnetic field appears around the conductor, Walla!

Edited by petemcewan

In the context used by Mikes10, I would say that the word 'appear' means the object is "noticed to behave as it does without apparent cause".

Crikey, I did not imagine my explanation would create such interest, so here is a video about a Slinky and gravity, all you have to do is explain what is happening.

I don't particularly like the explanation given in the video about information moving through the slinky.