The Sheffield gay scene part 2

I think Tia-Anna is ok , she occasionally pops up on my Facebook with notices etc.

Yes I quite agree, life would be very boring if we were all the same.

No doubt she will put in an appearance at Sheffield Gay Pride as usual. On that subject I think there is some controversy about them not allowing political demonstrations or something ? Can anyone elaborate?

OMG to close......No surprise. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did to be fair. No atmosphere, cliquey staff, same 20 faces every week......

OMG Sheffield

********************Customer announcement *****************

We are moving!!

It has been on the cards for a while and we have finally decided to make it happen!!! We are moving location because we are unable to offer you the amazing nightlife experience that we do in other cities. We have been toying with the idea of making the reasons why public or not, but ***** it why not.

Within the very first few weeks of opening, we were ascended on by Sheffield City Council planning department because of a complaint they received about us breaking the planning consent for the building. (I would like to point out we don't know if they did or did not have a complaint as they are kept confidential). The complaint was that we were operating a nightclub on an A4 (late bar) consent. Sheffield's own council website states a definition of a nightclub as a venue that doesn't contribute to the daytime economy. We are one of the ONLY venues in the area that opens in the day, and we have the same consent as 90% of the others. We were then reported, and almost prosecuted, for banners that had been there for years. They were fine for the other venues before us? What's the difference now except for the fact it's a gay venue? We will never know…

This has had a massive impact on the building model as we have felt the need to keep our head under the radar in the fear of looking too much like a "nightclub ". This has also stopped us from putting in the much valued 7 am licence which is greatly valued by our community in the area.

It is important to say we are not pointing our fingers at the council, they may have had a complaint from a "concerned neighbour" but it's more likely to be someone who doesn't like the idea of what we stand for and the LGBT nightlife we were trying to expand within Sheffield.

It's not the end, we have not been beaten, we already have our eyes on sites with the late license we need, giving us the freedom to offer you our true amazing experience.

Like and follow us to keep up with all the current information.

Our last day at this site will be Saturday the 30th of June. So let’s throw a massive party and give the venue a good seeing off !!

We hope we'll carry on seeing you all in the next stage of our life in Sheffield

OMG to close......No surprise. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did to be fair. No atmosphere, cliquey staff, same 20 faces every week......

OMG Sheffield

********************Customer announcement *****************

We are moving!!

It has been on the cards for a while and we have finally decided to make it happen!!! We are moving location because we are unable to offer you the amazing nightlife experience that we do in other cities. We have been toying with the idea of making the reasons why public or not, but ***** it why not.

Within the very first few weeks of opening, we were ascended on by Sheffield City Council planning department because of a complaint they received about us breaking the planning consent for the building. (I would like to point out we don't know if they did or did not have a complaint as they are kept confidential). The complaint was that we were operating a nightclub on an A4 (late bar) consent. Sheffield's own council website states a definition of a nightclub as a venue that doesn't contribute to the daytime economy. We are one of the ONLY venues in the area that opens in the day, and we have the same consent as 90% of the others. We were then reported, and almost prosecuted, for banners that had been there for years. They were fine for the other venues before us? What's the difference now except for the fact it's a gay venue? We will never know…

This has had a massive impact on the building model as we have felt the need to keep our head under the radar in the fear of looking too much like a "nightclub ". This has also stopped us from putting in the much valued 7 am licence which is greatly valued by our community in the area.

It is important to say we are not pointing our fingers at the council, they may have had a complaint from a "concerned neighbour" but it's more likely to be someone who doesn't like the idea of what we stand for and the LGBT nightlife we were trying to expand within Sheffield.

It's not the end, we have not been beaten, we already have our eyes on sites with the late license we need, giving us the freedom to offer you our true amazing experience.

Like and follow us to keep up with all the current information.

Our last day at this site will be Saturday the 30th of June. So let’s throw a massive party and give the venue a good seeing off !!

We hope we'll carry on seeing you all in the next stage of our life in Sheffield

Went once just to see, but then I'm far too old for it.

---------- Post added 14-06-2018 at 18:44 ----------

I think Tia-Anna is ok , she occasionally pops up on my Facebook with notices etc.

Yes I quite agree, life would be very boring if we were all the same.

No doubt she will put in an appearance at Sheffield Gay Pride as usual. On that subject I think there is some controversy about them not allowing political demonstrations or something ? Can anyone elaborate?

The application process for the march - sorry 'parade' stressed this was a 'celebration', not a protest, and that any banners considered offensive would be confiscated. It was phrased in a ham-fisted way almost guaranteed to raise hackles. They rowed back after a bit, but failed to address the impression that they were de-fanging the element of protest that Pride has always contained. It gave the impression that we'd end up with a corporate-sponsored and dominated event, 'Nandos Pride' in all but name.

It seems the underlying cause for the statement was a section of the march last year containing noisy anti-government people who carried banners that contained short Anglo-saxon words for female pupenda. Why they couldn't have said that in the first place I don't know. For what it's worth, I wasn't fond of that group myself. I'm left wing and anti-austerity, but they were shouting about stuff that was unconnected to the subject of the march, i.e. not LGBT rights.

Edited by birobasher

......on a lighter note,go and see Mark Farrelly in "Naked Hope" the National tour comes to the Merlin Theatre in Sheffield in September.........the life and times of "Quentin Crisp"

markfarrelly.co.uk......tickets here=

https://events.ticketsforgood.co.uk/events/719-quentin-crisp-naked-hope

Edited by mossdog

In perhaps the biggest surprise of the day, the new Gay Quarter Bar/Club announces it will open in 3 weeks time !

In perhaps the biggest surprise of the day, the new Gay Quarter Bar/Club announces it will open in 3 weeks time !

Hooray! Finally..

So .. I believe the new gat bar Queer Junction" next to Dempseys has finally opened yesterday.

Has anybody been yet ? And whats it like?

Edited by GinTreeS7

I dropped in briefly last night, around eleven.. A handful of people indoors, the same smoking outdoors, but I don't know if it got busier later because it was past my bedtime. Has a Doctor Who theme, with Police box door, TARDIS control room lights and a DJ booth shaped like the bottom of a Dalek. Drag DJ was playing Abba and Gloria Gaynor, but apparently tonight promises an R 'n' B flavour.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 08:31 ----------

Update: Queer Junction posted a picture on Facebook of a full dancefloor, so things seem to be going well. Roll on the next venue.

I must check it out soon - seems the "real" launch is next weekend ... and soon to be followed up by more new venues :-O

More likely its someone who didn't like the competition, from a newer, cleaner, safer environment, in a better location.

I have seen so many places come and go, I am not surprised really. People in Sheffield do not support clubs like OMG, they support seedy holes in rough areas like Dumpseys. Perhaps its because they are ashamed, and no one is likely to see them down the bottom of the Moor compared to on West Street?

For me, if the choice is Dumpseys or stay at home, I'll never be going out on the gay scene again. No big loss really.

The new venues will give you some choice then.

Arent they all in the same bad area as Dumpseys?