Moore and Wright

ive just mentioned this place in another thread and it got me thinking,what did they used to make in this place,i used to pass it daily as a kid and it always seemed a huge massive place and i always used to wonder went on in there,it was situated where the asda now stands.......so what did go off in there?

Moore & Wrights made measuring equipment.

Micrometers and the like.

Originally posted by viking

Moore & Wrights made measuring equipment.

Micrometers and the like.

Kirky, Micrometers are things that measure little bit an pieces, you would probably use one as a moveable spanner :P

Thought they were mini g-clamps with numbers to tell how tight it is .... :)

Originally posted by pressy

Thought they were mini g-clamps with numbers to tell how tight it is .... :)

Double meaning could be found but not risking a ban. :hihi:

Originally posted by owdlad

Kirky, Micrometers are things that measure little bit an pieces, you would probably use one as a moveable spanner :P

ouch! oh no my mistake i though that was another stab in the back but it was just a large prick

Micrometers were certainly used in lathe work at the old Central Technical School. They measured the diameters of metal bars which were being turned on the lathes, so your decimal understandig had to be up to scratch!

Originally posted by CHAIRBOY

Micrometers were certainly used in lathe work at the old Central Technical School. They measured the diameters of metal bars which were being turned on the lathes, so your decimal understandig had to be up to scratch!

Unless you used "Imperial" ones of course.

Imperial micrometers do have decimal scales, actually. I visited Moore & Wrights during an open day around 1983, very interesting place, and makers of every type of measuring and marking out equipment you could imagine.

I worked at the Moore and Wrights factory in around 1968, contracting as an apprentice electrician working on a large extension they were bulding.

One Firday afternoon there was a a real heavy blizzard and we decided to pack up early and get home before the snow got too deep.

Me and my mate were getting off a mobile scaffold which tipped over, breaking my leg. The ambulance couldn't get there for ages and to make matters worse someone actually cancelled it thinking it was for a nearby road accident which had already been cleared.

The following week Wednesday were at home and I horrified my mum by hopping (literally) on to a bus and making my way to the Kop - plaster cast, crutches and all. I don't think I missed a game at Hillsborough that season, despite having to negotiate the turnstiles, steps and a lot of ***** taking.

Once went for a job at M and W and was told I could start as long as I could work with mike and vernier.

I say's "dont worry mate, I'll work with anybody".......... :D

M&W was an excellent engineering company making measuring intruments to very high tolerances. They had a great reputation all around the world for the quality of the tools they produced. In fact, they manufactured tens of thousands of micrometers annually. They were especially well known for making 'one-off' instruments for very specific applications....and charging the earth!

The employees were all very loyal and very proud of their business.

I was there in the 70's shortly after they were taken over by James Neill. That created very much an 'us and them' attitude between the original M&W employees and those brought in from Neill.

I understand that the company was started by a Frank Moore who had been supplying measuring instruments to Vickers shipyard in Barrow in Furness but turned from being a middle-man to manufacturing. However, the 'Wright' element of the name has a number of stories attached - one is that Wright was the financial backer to Moore's project, another is that Wright was Mrs Moore's maiden name. Anyone know for definite? None of the family has been involved for many, many years. Apparently some of Moore's descendants live in Australia.