The West Street pub, late 70's

Used to call in the West Street pub a few times a week, late 70's, early 80's, in the days when it boasted a separate pool room and pinball machine.

Run at the time by Bill and his wife Jean....seem to recall a son as well - John? - but he lived elsewhere.

Know the pub has altered many times since those days, but I wonder if Bill and Jean are still with us somewhere?

Used to call in the West Street pub a few times a week, late 70's, early 80's, in the days when it boasted a separate pool room and pinball machine.

Run at the time by Bill and his wife Jean....seem to recall a son as well - John? - but he lived elsewhere.

Know the pub has altered many times since those days, but I wonder if Bill and Jean are still with us somewhere?

I spent a lot of time in there with my mates in the 1960,s playing on the football table.Bill and Jean were there then.A nice couple. If you wanted to play on the football table you put 6p on it and waited your turn.The winners stayed on for free.We often won so it was a free night apart from the Stones beer which was great.

I spent a lot of time in there with my mates in the 1960,s playing on the football table.Bill and Jean were there then.A nice couple. If you wanted to play on the football table you put 6p on it and waited your turn.The winners stayed on for free.We often won so it was a free night apart from the Stones beer which was great.

Yes, my mistake.

It was a football table, not a pool job!

Better memory than me, biker!

I probably played against you at the football table, West Street Hotel and the Adelphi were my regular calls.

I probably played against you at the football table, West Street Hotel and the Adelphi were my regular calls.

There were usually 4 of us with big mouths !! It must have made some money because it was always in use

The West Steet Hotel was our last port of call on our weekly pub crawl in the 60s,starting at the Adelphi on to The Red Lion across the road to the Wharncliffe then up to the Saddle finishing at The West Steet Hotel!.I remember the landlord as a friendly heavy set middle aged bloke,the saying goes don,t judge a book by its cover!.He proved this one night when a group of young blokes were causing trouble swearing and pushing people about in the entrance way,he told them to calm down or leave!.One guy who I had seen around town before told him to f.o,and took a swing at the landlord,big mistake he received a right going over it was amazing to witness,he slung the lot of them out then proceeded back behind the bar as though nothing had happened!.To look at the landlord you wouldn,t believe it he was so ordinary looking,like I said you can,t judge a book by its cover!.:roll:

The West Steet Hotel was our last port of call on our weekly pub crawl in the 60s,starting at the Adelphi on to The Red Lion across the road to the Wharncliffe then up to the Saddle finishing at The West Steet Hotel!.I remember the landlord as a friendly heavy set middle aged bloke,the saying goes don,t judge a book by its cover!.He proved this one night when a group of young blokes were causing trouble swearing and pushing people about in the entrance way,he told them to calm down or leave!.One guy who I had seen around town before told him to f.o,and took a swing at the landlord,big mistake he received a right going over it was amazing to witness,he slung the lot of them out then proceeded back behind the bar as though nothing had happened!.To look at the landlord you wouldn,t believe it he was so ordinary looking,like I said you can,t judge a book by its cover!.:roll:

Happy days. our route was the same except for the Adelphi, we came up the other side so the Old Blue Bell and Stone House were just ahead of the Red Lion. Just googled on street view and the West Street Hotel is the only one left.They call it West Street Live now

Happy days. our route was the same except for the Adelphi, we came up the other side so the Old Blue Bell and Stone House were just ahead of the Red Lion. Just googled on street view and the West Street Hotel is the only one left.They call it West Street Live now

Our route in the mid 60,s to early 70,s was a pint of black velvet in the mucky duck (the beer was rubbish) the Blue Bell,Stone House,Saddle,West Street ,Hallamshire,Mucky Duck for a Black Velvet.No wonder the 60,s are a blur !!!!

Our route in the mid 60,s to early 70,s was a pint of black velvet in the mucky duck (the beer was rubbish) the Blue Bell,Stone House,Saddle,West Street ,Hallamshire,Mucky Duck for a Black Velvet.No wonder the 60,s are a blur !!!!

I used to work nearby, so invariably nipped in at lunchtime (if able) first, but then tended to wander in for a quick one after work.

The quick one after work would often lead to having a wander up to the Hallamshire - and/or Beehive if I was feeling energetic - and then back to the West Street.

Strangely by this time, 'going home' seemed to fade a little as being a good idea, so used to wander down to the Barrel down the side street, to be entertained by Mr.Fagin (if still standing) or his barman, 'Spider', who had a habit of turning most of the pub lights out and then treating us to him playing the optics bottles with his drumsticks.....

It was funny, it seems like you kept seeing the same groups of lads from pub to pub. Never saw a lot of fighting though, mind you we were all so well dressed that no one wanted to ruin their suit :). We saved the fighting for out of town pubs, with second tier clothing on ha ha!

It was funny, it seems like you kept seeing the same groups of lads from pub to pub. Never saw a lot of fighting though, mind you we were all so well dressed that no one wanted to ruin their suit :). We saved the fighting for out of town pubs, with second tier clothing on ha ha!

I don't remember any fighting either.The nearest I ever came to it was one night on the football table when a couple of old teddy boys from Barnsley were playing us.We often played them and we always beat them easily.My mouth was in overdrive until one of them said footballs your game but fighting is my game !!!!! I sobered up and shut up !!!!! Good decision

Jean and Bill were my Aunt and Uncle , they did also have a son called John, they retired to Boston in Lincolnshire where they spent many happy years, Jean worked as a barmaid until she was 82. Sadly none of them are with us any longer but they often shared stories of their time at west street