The Botanist - Coming soon

hmmm. even I as a big beer drinker (in both senses!) don't think that actually makes the Botanist rubbish. It's a cocktail bar, I'd expect them to be faffing about with cocktails (though if you're waiting a long time maybe they need to revisit staffing levels), and wouldn't expect an exciting range of draft beers any more than I'd go to the Shakey and expect them to make me a mojito or daiquiri

I'd agree it's somewhere that I'm unlikely to go anywhere soon, but don't think I'll write it off as 'rubbish'!

So Bar and Beyond really do have half price drinks between 5 & 10PM. Cool

The Botanist in Leeds used to have some 'barrels' behind the bar, each of which dispensed a half decent beer. The best was always the Beartown Peach Melbear. I'm guessing the Sheffield one has no such offering then?

It might well have something worth drinking but as a potential punter stood at the bar not being served I had no idea. There were some menus/leaflets which seemed to be listing £8 cocktails rather than beers.

I may give it another chance but not for a while.

---------- Post added 05-10-2016 at 14:00 ----------

hmmm. even I as a big beer drinker (in both senses!) don't think that actually makes the Botanist rubbish. It's a cocktail bar, I'd expect them to be faffing about with cocktails (though if you're waiting a long time maybe they need to revisit staffing levels), and wouldn't expect an exciting range of draft beers any more than I'd go to the Shakey and expect them to make me a mojito or daiquiri

I'd agree it's somewhere that I'm unlikely to go anywhere soon, but don't think I'll write it off as 'rubbish'!

Well it's a subjective view obviously. I wasn't expecting fancy beers I was just trying the place out with whatever beer I could see. But I decided I couldn't be bothered waiting ages for that privilege so went elsewhere on this occasion.

Pub visits are sometimes like that - I know more or less straight away how long it's worth staying for. I concluded this was a swift pint and move on place. But it was just a move on without buying a drink place.

Anyone been in recently?

No. It really doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I walked past not long after it opened, and it seemed so pretentious. Besides, I like cozy places out.:)

Anyone been in recently?

I have been in for a couple of meals and found them to be good quality plus they serve beer lao which is really difficult to get hold of in sheffield for some reason!

Guest makapaka
No. It really doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I walked past not long after it opened, and it seemed so pretentious. Besides, I like cozy places out.:)

Made your mind up without even going in then?

Thanks for valid opinion on place.................

Made your mind up without even going in then?

Thanks for valid opinion on place.................

First of all, I'd like to apologize as I thought it was ' Bar and Beyond 'on West St.

Second, why would I go in a place, regardless of which it is, or who owns it, if the feel from the outside is that it's going to be full of idiots showing off. Shouldn't places you go in, give a good impression from the outside too?

Guest makapaka
First of all, I'd like to apologize as I thought it was ' Bar and Beyond 'on West St.

Second, why would I go in a place, regardless of which it is, or who owns it, if the feel from the outside is that it's going to be full of idiots showing off. Shouldn't places you go in, give a good impression from the outside too?

Go where you want - you don’t know anything about the place though so it’s wrong for you to start staying that it’s full of idiots showing off cos you have no idea if it’s true.

You’ve just taken your own personal feeling and opinion and projected it on a place you haven’t even been in - then wrote that feeling and opinion on a forum.

Weird.

Go where you want - you don’t know anything about the place though so it’s wrong for you to start staying that it’s full of idiots showing off cos you have no idea if it’s true.

You’ve just taken your own personal feeling and opinion and projected it on a place you haven’t even been in - then wrote that feeling and opinion on a forum.

Weird.

Yeah, I wouldn't say I was like your average person either.Think what you want. You probably own one of these places anyway,lol :rolleyes:

Guest makapaka
Yeah, I wouldn't say I was like your average person either.Think what you want. You probably own one of these places anyway,lol :rolleyes:

I didn’t say anything about the average person?

I also don’t own a bar.

I’m not entirely sure you know which bar your talking about.

Not unknown to have to wait in Shakey while the (excellent) staff have to faff around serving free beer samples, free glasses of water or 50p mugs of tea though.

We went in a while ago for a midweek lunch, expecting it to be quiet but it was pretty busy. Amazing inside the restaurant. The food was fantastic, really surprised me, and the beer list was BIG. Tried to go there for a family meal at the weekend but they were fully booked!

I must admit that I was dubious about this place fitting in to the Sheffield `vibe` but it`s certainly quality, bizarre, but quality.